Question regarding E4OD

Sparks-IDI

Reaction score
Last summer I picked up a non-running 1994 Vin K regular cab 4x4 with an E4OD. The engine is not the turbo version according to the engine block number (7.3 U2U1028595). There was evidence of a turbo since there are firewall scorch marks in the paint on passenger side firewall. Not sure what year the motor is, but it does run pretty good.

I have since last year done all the normal maintenance items to get it back roadworthy. Now, my question is the tranny seems to shift thru the gears OK into overdrive. But when I slow down to a near stop, it appears to not want to downshift to a lower gear, unless I come to a complete stop. If I stop completely, and take off, it shifts up thru the gears OK, but seems like it does not want to down shift. What controls all this? I know about the TPS on the injector pump, but I have not touched it. Is the computer module responsible for this? Not sure how the truck knows to down shift when slowing down except for perhaps that speed sensor on the sterling housing. What does the speed sensor actually control? I don't think there are any engine functions associated with the speed sensor. Maybe speedometer/odometer readings and tranny shifting?

Different question but still E4OD related. When taking off from a stop, it shifts OK but kind of sloppy. Then when going into 3rd and 4th gear you hear a grinding sound. My friend says it's the lockup torque converter. We're thinking it's toast. If you ease up thru the gears it will shift OK without any racket, but if you lay into it, boy, it lets you know.

I am inclined to pull the tranny and rebuild it since I have no history on it. maybe my downshift problem is related to all this.

I've rebuilt a couple of trannys years ago, a 904 Torqueflite and a Ford C4 so I am not afraid to tackle it. I found a website www.transmissionbench.com that has parts and a really good video series on rebuilding a E4OD. The videos are free on YouTube if you want to take a look.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

There are like 16 videos in the series. The guy's like Mister Rogers rebuilds transmissions!

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
No forced down shift could be a TCM issue. Check the TPS settings. Check for codes too.
If the TPS checks out, there are internal issues with the valve body.

No doubt the grinding sound is the lock up clutch. They do that just before they completely fry.
When you pull the tranny, you will see the blue ring of death on the converter cover.

I would plan on rebuilding it. Get your self a set of ATSG manuals. You want both copies so you know what the updates are.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you ease up thru the gears it will shift OK without any racket, but if you lay into it, boy, it lets you know.
Before you take it out...check the mounts...if you have metal-to-metal contact on hard acceleration you will hear a grinding noise...

I agree that the lockup clutch can and will go bad on an original convertor but the time to diagnose things is now...before you take it apart. Track speeder is right about the blue ring of death...

I would run a lab scope on the FIPL and see if there are spikes, drop-outs, and general fuzzing on the signal and also if it is adjusted correctly...and...do the same..(except for adjusting) on the speed sensor on the rear axle...don't have a lab scope..? borrow one...good time to call in a favor from someone who owes you one...

I recommend the Transgo shift kit when you work over the unit...they give you a lot of good info you might not find in the manuals.

The aftermarket has some good fixes for problem areas concerning case-to-valve body hydraulic integrity.

The E4OD is a big-beautiful unit that will make a man outta ya...hope ya got some long arms...

Good luck, Sparks...

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does the speed sensor actually control? I don't think there are any engine functions associated with the speed sensor. Maybe speedometer/odometer readings and tranny shifting?
Yes....I don't know if it gets involved with any engine functions...but most definitely shifting and speedo.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
E4OD related. When taking off from a stop, it shifts OK but kind of sloppy. Then when going into 3rd and 4th gear you hear a grinding sound. My friend says it's the lockup torque converter. We're thinking it's toast.
This sounds like a newer version of the ASE test questions for Automatic Transmissions...

Driver 'A' senses this...Friend 'B' says that...they both conclude 'Toast"

ahahahaha sorry...I know it is puzzling...but maybe we oughta get in contact with the publishers of the test books and get them to 'update' the language...

You guys will figure it out...just a matter of time...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online