80-91 stripped steering wheel nut threads options

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not a smart man at times. Yes.
Nawww. Youse plenty smart. Just sometimes your mouth says the wrong thing. It’s 2023, and this is Chimerica, according to @Clb . You don’t have to be accountable for anything! Lol. I too have gotten those (die and tap) mixed up. All good man.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
To be up front, work has been catching up, we have a ton of newbies at work and it's just myself and the other master tech having to diagnose everything, burnout is real.
You gotta use the taps on the bolts and dies on the holes :idiot:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
What about using a center punch and punch dead center of the shaft. Then drill down into the shaft, and open it up to the proper size to tap threads for a bolt to hold the wheel on? You could use a bunch of washers or make a sleeve out of a piece of pipe to fit under the washer and bolt to press against the center of the wheel. The splines hold the wheel while turning, the bolt would just have to keep the wheel from sliding off. I don't remember how large the shaft is, but a 5/16-18 bolt should be good enough. 3/8-16 would be even better if you still had plenty of meat left in the shaft.
You could even ho one step farther and put some blue Lock Tite on the bolt just to make sure that it doesn't back out on you.
I too have gotten those (die and tap) mixed up.
I used to as well. I finally came up with a kind of religious way to remember which is which. "When you die, you only die on the outside". I think that Jesus Freak would approve of this message.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could even ho one step farther and put some blue Lock Tite on the bolt just to make sure that it doesn't back out on you.

I used to as well. I finally came up with a kind of religious way to remember which is which. "When you die, you only die on the outside". I think that Jesus Freak would approve of this message.
I also agree with that message. That’s a good way to remember

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Idk where he mentioned hitting stuff??? I don’t get it I guess… crying might make you feel better, usually doesn’t get the job done though.

What you don’t have stumps behind your shop? 5 gallon bucket upside down? Use that? Hmm?
Well, not everyone can hold it together that well when we find an important part on our important vehicle not operating correctly and those of us who can't react with "emotion". I was just giving a recommendation of something he could do, as well as an admonition of something not to do.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5 gallon bucket upside down?
I have a decent collection of 5-gallon buckets just for that purpose...

I have stood on them occaisionally to reach back over the air cleaner to attach the water dam on the cowling...then the b1t2# flipped over and I got intimate with my air cleaner...it was a bonding experience....

My Girl told people that I walked into a pole...

I wonder if the people across the street got that on their door cam...

I have since filled a few buckets with concrete...and that works much better...but I have to move them around with a hand truck...

I had thought about putting a tilt column in my 'Ol One-Ton...but now I don't think so...the one I have is adequate and hopefully trouble-free...

Wishing you luck on getting your straightened out...

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my dad's old truck before he wrecked it, I had used a tap to make the threads one size smaller, and replaced the nut. Worked like that for the remaining 5 years he had it. Just an idea.
That is actually a good option. I have done this many times on other applications.

I would recommend using a die though.
@Nero ;Poke

James

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is actually a good option. I have done this many times on other applications.

I would recommend using a die though.
@Nero ;Poke

James
What would be the next size down 14mm fine thread? It’s 5/8 fine thread right now 9/16 may be a jump

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truthfully I'm not really sure. A 5/8' diameter converts to 15.88mm. 9/16 converts to 14.28mm.

If my calculations are correct the 9/16 is actually slightly larger than the 14mm. 5/16 is .5625. 14mm is .5622.

James

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I cna check the die I used, I still have it in my toolbox at home. I think it was a 9/16

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got tagged in @ top of pg. 2
I'm gunna read this in the am and see watzup...
For now op
You just need the top shaft me thinks...
Now did ford have a better idea?
Be back later

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin