80-91 stripped steering wheel nut threads options

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My manual tilt column steering wheel nut threads are done, I have a non tilt manual that’s good what are my options here? Can I put the tilt on the non tilt? Can I swap the shaft inside the column?
Would love to keep tilt here

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The non tilt column doesn't have a u joints in the shaft.

I had a tilt and non tilt for a manual both disassembled last night, I was trying to swap the aluminum piece that the lock cylinder goes in.

I was trying to do exactly the opposite of what you're doing. I was trying to retain the non tilt column so I don't have deal with the weak switch actuator in the tilt column, that and I never adjust them anywhere other than straight anyway.

I didn't find much that was interchangeable.

James

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as it is a tilt column you should be able to swap the shaft.

James

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Just swap the whole column from a wrecking yard, doesn't make sense to gut it

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have tilt without slop, I might fix it. The aluminum in housing gets wallowed out and you get slop in the wheel. Presumably they get wallard out from yarding on the wheel pulling ourselves into the truck. Likely ones from the wrecker will have slop.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another option is to go sit on a stump behind your shop and cry. Hitting stuff just hurts your hand.
Idk where he mentioned hitting stuff??? I don’t get it I guess… crying might make you feel better, usually doesn’t get the job done though.

What you don’t have stumps behind your shop? 5 gallon bucket upside down? Use that? Hmm?

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If y’all have any manual tilt columns for sale and are willing to ship let me know

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about using a center punch and punch dead center of the shaft. Then drill down into the shaft, and open it up to the proper size to tap threads for a bolt to hold the wheel on? You could use a bunch of washers or make a sleeve out of a piece of pipe to fit under the washer and bolt to press against the center of the wheel. The splines hold the wheel while turning, the bolt would just have to keep the wheel from sliding off. I don't remember how large the shaft is, but a 5/16-18 bolt should be good enough. 3/8-16 would be even better if you still had plenty of meat left in the shaft.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
On my dad's old truck before he wrecked it, I had used a tap to make the threads one size smaller, and replaced the nut. Worked like that for the remaining 5 years he had it. Just an idea.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my dad's old truck before he wrecked it, I had used a tap to make the threads one size smaller, and replaced the nut. Worked like that for the remaining 5 years he had it. Just an idea.
I know you meant Die correct?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac