"Tank" my 91 Crew Cab Dually

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But I thought you were going to leave the frame galvanized and run undercarriage lights to show it off? Maybe use the ones that slowly rotate colors? ;Poke :joker:

If you think I'm running those horrendous rainbow underglow lights on this truck I'll have to see if Scott can give you an apparently much needed vacation from this forum until you come back to your senses LOL LOL LOL

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Baby steps. Got the bolts in the front bracket.

I put them in backwards so I can use them to mount a bumper when I get that far.

You must be registered for see images attach

I'm trying to figure out what to put on these rotors over the winter to keep them from rusting much more. Has to be easy to remove. Even considered just light primer or a quick shot of cold galv but I don't want to gum up the pads or spend a bunch of time cleaning them off. Just looking for suggestions, I may just use a light oil to be safe.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have always used a healthy coat if wheel bearing grease on the mold boards on plows. A little gasoline wash should easily remove it also.

James

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have always used a healthy coat if wheel bearing grease on the mold boards on plows. A little gasoline wash should easily remove it also.

James

Not a bad idea. I have some old grease that got "contaminated" that should be perfect for the task.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
When I was building my truck, I just used two regular trash bags on each wheel, so 4 bags total, and a bungie. Seemed to work well.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was building my truck, I just used two regular trash bags on each wheel, so 4 bags total, and a bungie. Seemed to work well.

That with a light oil would be easier to clean than grease, perfect.

I didn't want to use oil because it might wash off, didn't want to use bags because of moisture in the air. Perfect solution!

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stuff like this was one of the big reasons for galvanizing the frame. Remember, this is a Texas frame. All that pitting you see was from rust growing under the body mounts. Up here in the salt they're known for rotting right out, then you have to pull everything off and repair the frame..... This should put an end to that!

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Axle is finally under the frame. Before the day is over I'll be rolling the other axle under the donor truck and pulling the calipers off this axle so they don't get water in them. I have to remember to cap the axle vent somehow too so it doesn't get rain in it.

Also got the shock mounts and core support brackets back on the frame. I'm out of 1/2" flange bolts now!

I got the track bar mount bolted up too but I may swap the bolts out later. They're just to the edge of the nuts and I don't know if the distorted thread locknuts have enough to bite into.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pulled the calipers off and put a thick coat of this stuff on the rotors. Too many "dirty" words for me to dare try to type them out LOL

Ran a piece of hose from the vent into the frame rail to keep water out. Still need to get the rear leaves disassembled today so I can take them in to work tomorrow.

I'm not happy with my shackle angle on the front, but there's negative weight on the brand new springs and the frame is angled so it may be messing with perspective and looking worse than it actually is. Hopefully after some weight on the springs and they get some break in it'll be ok.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks awesome so far sir will to flawless when your finished

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks awesome so far sir will to flawless when your finished

I don't know about that but thank you hahaha.

I just wish I could afford to give it the body and paint love it deserves! I feel it's more important to sort out the mechanical portion first. There's always going to be more time for bodywork after.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance