"Tank" my 91 Crew Cab Dually

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you should look up Bad Dog drill bits. watch some if their videos on Youtube. if they hold up half as well as they claim they would be amazing. they are not cheap though. I havent used them, but am thinking about it.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someday I want to go back through this thread and count how many times we have completely derailed. I don't mind, it's all good fun, but I'm genuinely curious!
I'm sorry about that. In pennance, I am going to try to match your reaction score to your post count. LOL

Let's see, that's about a hundred likes I got to hit. Time to get cracking.

:p

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If ya’ll spent the amount of time working on your projects that you spend naming your hole makers the trucks would be done by now
But-but-but...Bucks County Hackmaster...have you considered the possibility that maybe they all might be just resting up and gathering their energy and will for the next big push..?

Ya gotta include some banter to have a well-rounded situation...

I mean...why are we here other than to socialize with like-minded folks that all share a common interest..?

I have just rested up today because I worked myself to exhaustion the last two weeks...moving equipment 'n stuff and road trips and bush hoggin'...and...with no square meals the whole time...just snacks and whatever I could grab...I slept one rainy night in my truck...(I had been looking forward to that..) I just needed to relax and do very little today to recharge...

Other than my Girl...who I am very proud of...this is my Pride and Joy...

Attachments

• IMG_0227_1.JPG
    IMG_0227_1.JPG
    588.1 KB · Views: 15

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry about that. In pennance, I am going to try to match your reaction score to your post count. LOL

Let's see, that's about a hundred likes I got to hit. Time to get cracking.

:p

Well I'm glad you said something. I thought the site was broken or something when I had 106 notifications this morning!

You must be registered for see images attach

LOL

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'm glad you said something. I thought the site was broken or something when I had 106 notifications this morning!

LOL
So it was @Selahdoor that broke the internet!!!

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But-but-but...Bucks County Hackmaster...have you considered the possibility that maybe they all might be just resting up and gathering their energy and will for the next big push..?

Ya gotta include some banter to have a well-rounded situation...

I mean...why are we here other than to socialize with like-minded folks that all share a common interest..?

I have just rested up today because I worked myself to exhaustion the last two weeks...moving equipment 'n stuff and road trips and bush hoggin'...and...with no square meals the whole time...just snacks and whatever I could grab...I slept one rainy night in my truck...(I had been looking forward to that..) I just needed to relax and do very little today to recharge...

Other than my Girl...who I am very proud of...this is my Pride and Joy...
I'd use the skid steer to pull the truck, it would probably go faster.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd use the skid steer to pull the truck, it would probably go faster.
some how...I just knew I was setting myself up for something like that...

I like your sense of humor...and when I hadda slide the clutch once to keep the engine from bogging out on a uphill stop sign a flash of the same thought hit me...briefly...

That set up was heavily loaded...the tool boxes were full of stuff and tools and the box on the trailer had a bunch of salvaged fasteners and spare metal...I did not weigh it but I figure that it was an acid test.

Didn't miss a beat...we'll see how it does in the long haul...

I think I'll put the whole thing on a weight subtraction plan...until I can freshen up the engine.

I use'ta use a chevy truck to pull a Mustang to the track years ago...I got a lot of ribbing about that, too...

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the 5/8 sleeves cut today.

The long ones are too long (which is a better problem than too short!) I think I accidentally added 3/16 instead of subtracting LOL They're supposed to be roughly 5/8 shorter than the 1/2" spacers.

Fun fact. They're the same OD as the 1/2 spacers just thinner wall. That wasn't planned just happened.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of lathe do you use..? And... I am curious...what kind of tool are you using to cut the weld prep..? and...could you tell me the turning speed and feed rate..?

I like to soak up anything I can from successful people...helps at times when I ordinarily would be at a loss...

This project it looking good so far...

I had a chance to get an antique lathe and passed it up only because I just did not have a place to keep it out of the weather at the time..

It was a real beauty...I kick myself from time-to-time when I think about it.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What kind of lathe do you use..?

I have an old Logan, I think it's a model 210? It's not very big. It's capable of holding a 10" diameter part and the bed is about 30ish inches long, I don't recall exactly. I know it was sold to the war department brand new in '44. Wish I knew the rest of it's story!

I am curious...what kind of tool are you using to cut the weld prep..?

Just an insert holder. Not sure if the insert is HSS or Carbide, came with the lathe. The correct way to do it would have been to adjust the compound and cut it that way but I just knocked it down to match the angle of the insert. Quick and dirty.

and...could you tell me the turning speed and feed rate..?

I would if I knew. The feed rate was manual. The turning speed was slower than it should be because I was running in low gear. Long story short this late has a few small issues that I need to address.

I like to soak up anything I can from successful people...helps at times when I ordinarily would be at a loss...

Not sure why you're asking me then LOL

I'm not going to lie and say I know what I'm doing, but I'm doing it anyway!

This project it looking good so far...

I had a chance to get an antique lathe and passed it up only because I just did not have a place to keep it out of the weather at the time..

It was a real beauty...I kick myself from time-to-time when I think about it.

Thanks!

Yeah I picked this up because the deal was right. I also didn't realize quite how rough it is, but isn't that usually the case with old machines?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cut the 5/8 spacers down after work. They should be right this time. They LOOK right? LOL

Here's what they're for in case anyone was confused. They'll press up against the frame so the bolts have something to bite against instead of just crushing that plate.

The 5/8 spacers are shorter because there is a bump out in the factory 4x4 frame where the shackles mounted. I have another spacer for the other side of the frame to take up that space as well.

This is where I'm leaving it today. Ready to be tacked and then test fit.

I believe next on the list is the part I've been trying to avoid LOL I have to remove the rivets from the rear hangers so I can mount the new shackles that come with the RSK.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I believe next on the list is the part I've been trying to avoid LOL I have to remove the rivets from the rear hangers so I can mount the new shackles that come with the RSK.
I didn't really find that to be too difficult the last time I did it. I took a grinder and made a cut across the rivet head, next I used a chisel bit on an air hammer to remove the rest of the rivet head, Last. I used a punch bit in the air hammer to push the rivet out of the frame. You don't have to make the cut across the rivet head all the way though. Most of the way will work just fine. That way you also don't have to worry about cutting into the frame.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I've done it before. Problem is the frame is in the back yard a ways away from air supply right now. I've got the side rivets mostly drilled out and a few good whacks with a hammer and chisel might do the trick.

I really need it to decide not to rain for a few days. Forecast says every day we're supposed to get "some". It usually seems to start about the time I get tools out LOL

It's been pretty humid too. I'm trying to keep plugging away anyway though even if I don't get much done at a time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online