Supercharged IDI Smok'n Bronco Build Thread

Dzlnut

Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing this completed...cool

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Sorry to say this but that cam gear with the two drilled and threaded holes is the bad one.. there is a new gear thats not got the balance problems that one has. If you can still easily remove the cam and replace the cam gear I say do it. All the 6.9 and many of the 7.3 had the gears that caused a vibration that came and went about every 10 seconds at idle. Did you install ARP head studs in this engine.. Can't wait to her and see it running on the dyno... Good work too.

Thats interesting information. Out of all the years I've worked on these and how many of them I've built I have never heard of that. Good info.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What was done with the gear was cast a lug (weight) on the back to counterbalance the fuel pump lobe. The puller holes were removed. A three jaw puller is needed using the three openings in the gear to remove. They are available aftermarket. One problem I was having was several of them were listed as 108 teeth. My gear has 106 teeth. I don't know if these were typo mistakes, but I wasn't going to order one to find out.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice! Always nice to see someone spending money on an old rig and doing it up right.

rembrant88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'll try to afford some misters and a pump for it this summer Mel. Once it is all done I want to play with different fuel delivery and boost, though I think keeping boost low is going to be my best bet. I'll see what my fuel needs look like after testing with a stock pump.

So on this balance issue, is it better to leave off the pump lobe or is it a good thing I left it on? I left it on just in case I decided to switch to a mechanical pump later on. Never know. The engine had just over 400K on it before rebuild and was still running strong and the cam bearings and gear were in good shape. The front part of the motor is put back together so at this point I think I'll just go with it.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
The entire reason I am getting rid of it is because of the noise. I have a layer of peel-and-seal and a firewall insulator. It is noisy like you read about. It will probably be less with the new 5 speed, but if I travel over 60mph, it will still be noisy. I would like to get one of the dodge turobs that have the vv setup so I could change the boost as I was driving. I think I am going to get some of the lizard stuff and go over the peel and seal, and do the floor when I put the new one in. By that time though, I will have the turbo in it.

SWS

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really cool project man! Can't wait to see it finished. Hope to see it at a rally one of these days.

Heath

rembrant88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The entire reason I am getting rid of it is because of the noise. I have a layer of peel-and-seal and a firewall insulator. It is noisy like you read about. It will probably be less with the new 5 speed, but if I travel over 60mph, it will still be noisy. I would like to get one of the dodge turobs that have the vv setup so I could change the boost as I was driving. I think I am going to get some of the lizard stuff and go over the peel and seal, and do the floor when I put the new one in. By that time though, I will have the turbo in it.

SWS

Well, sounds like you'll be happier with a turbo. At least you gave it a try. I'll take your advice and really sound proof this thing. The 80's broncos don't have much by way of insulation anyway and I want to also keep the tire noise out.

It would be fun to go to a rally one of these times. I wouldn't mind taking a long drive.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I have some of the bubble/aluminum insulation on the floor, and got a newer (92 I think) firewall insulator. I know that is not a lot, but the wine is so loud, you can hear it over the tires...which are Baja Claws.

SWS

rembrant88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have some of the bubble/aluminum insulation on the floor, and got a newer (92 I think) firewall insulator. I know that is not a lot, but the wine is so loud, you can hear it over the tires...which are Baja Claws.

SWS

How did the later year firewall insulator fit? Did it take some modification or did it go right in? If it's an easy fit than I'll do that for sure. There is a 96' powerstroke at the pick a part that I'd like to take the insulator out of. I hate to spend a lot of money on some really good sound proofing but it's probably worth it just to keep the diesel motor noise down. I love the sound of diesels but on a long drive I like to include the person next to me in a conversation.

Did you notice any gas mileage change with the addition of the supercharger? Just curious if it is dragging down mileage as well as performance on the high end especially.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Its not bad. From the pass side, you have a different mount for the lower part of the dash. There is not a hole for the wiring harness to the engine compt. Just on the drivers side of the tranny tunnel, there is a large piece of metal that runs up/down. You have to make a slice in the insulator and it fits around it. Then, the obvious difference between the two steering columns. Last (I can think of) but not least is the hole that is there for the fuse box on the later model is there. There are a few other holes that are there and different but there is not a lot of trouble to make it fit. I suggest making sure you start by MOCKING up from the outer sides. Then, make a few of the rubber plugs to hold it in place in the center and work your way out. The biggest part was the cut down the center for the body piece on the early bodies, and not there on the later. I would do it a hundred times over. Cheap, easy, and it works. The later ones have the foam style and the older ones have what looks like fabric insulation in them.

You won't be sorry.

SWS

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Sorry, I did not see the last question until after I posted my response. Its hard to see if there was any type of gain in the milage. I added the SC and did the rebuild within such a close time (may have been the same time) as well as other things. Ported heads, cam, Baby Moose, headers, etc. Not sure really if there was any gain or not. I was getting about 18 prior to the rebuild. But the last I checked a few weeks ago, I was at 13. Less than 10K on the build though and there was a TON of beating on it and driving it for several miles at 30-45 in 4X4 snow.

SWS

rembrant88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I'm going to try and pull some stuff off that truck in the salvage yard this week.

Sound like the supercharger isn't causing it too much trouble. It'll be interesting to do some mileage tests on this when it's done. I really have no clue how it will be affected. I want to test it at different levels of bypass. I'll have to figure out a good way to do the mileage tests. I imagine with the clutch fan removed and that load taken off the motor it will equal about what I normally get, but who knows.

rembrant88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still working on the shackle reversal and shocks while I'm waiting for my pulley to be done. I decided to have a steel plate welded to the stock pulley and the the supercharger pulley will bolt to the plate. I also am keeping the stock intake and making an adapter. A custom intake would have looked cool but I just don't need one at the extra cost. Building an adapter will be easy enough. I got the engine painted black. I'll just get these small things done over the weekend until my pulley is done.

You must be registered for see images attach