Strange glow plugs

Ethan Smith

Reaction score
Howdy yall. I found this here glowplug in my truck. I sure as hell know this aint stock. What the heck kinda new technology is this? Where the wire coming out the tip like that? Maybe i got one of them fancy duramax and dont even know it. Need to check my liscence plate and see if im really driving a ford.

You must be registered for see images attach

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OOOooopppps.... Your glow plug just swelled up at the tip, then broke off. The tip is embedded in the top of the piston, or if you got really lucky.. went out the exhaust valve [somehow]... Or, if you are "real lucky" the tip is still in the hole and you get to pull the head to get it out....

In any case, it's on par with being abducted by aliens for a ****** exam...

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ouch. I'm guessing that's an autolite or champion plug. The tip swelled and then twisted off in the glow plug hole during removal. That little wire is the heating element that is normally covered by the inconel casing.

Was this found in the glove box or something? Or was this actually pulled from one of the heads. If so, you have big problems on your hands. You'll have to bring the engine to TDC on that cylinder to hopefully prevent that broken tip from falling in. Then pull the injector on the same cylinder and try using a combination of shop air and a shop-vac to clear the broken tip.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yeah, if everyone looks closely, you can see how it just broke off during removal.
Other it would be black as night.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Ethan Smith

Reaction score
Heck yeah yall are helpful as it gets. I got this a year ago from a guy and he said he did the plugs. Looked like he hid, they never worked so i figured it was in the wiring. Believe it or not theyre bosch. So your saying dont run it and pull the injector and blow it out with my fingers crossed? What you think caused this running too far advanced? Its advanced a dimes width with 200k on it. Either that or its only a hundred k and the brake pedals to the metal already

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The tip on that one isn't gone from overly advanced timing.
It broke off on removal. That's from swelling. So I'm not sure why you said "Believe it or not theyre bosch." Bosch isn't a good brand.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Ethan Smith

Reaction score
Shoot i only said that cause people make autolites sound like the devil. Figured anything but thats good news. Looks like ill stick with something else. Im gonna pull the heads and redo the top of the engine anyway. Anybody got any recommendations on valve stem seals or anything else while im in there?

Ethan Smith

Reaction score
Well shoot. Yall are saving me a huge pain. Ill put in beru next time, fel pro for the gaskets and seals. I wiah i could stud it but moneys kina a factor.