Glow plug stuck

SkipBurney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys I just changed my glow plugs on my 93 7.3 because 3 of them weren’t working at all. I got 7 out and changed but one must be swollen up on the tip at least that’s what it feels like . Should I pull the head and get it out or run it as it is. If I pull one head I’m gonna pull both and have a valve job done on both heads. What do you think?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
That's not true at all. I used this to get 3 swollen plugs out of my in laws truck. Worked like a charm.

I did have a hangup where one of the chineesium plugs came apart, but I extracted it with a pair of vice grips and a long prybar. No thread damage, no dropped tip.

MadMac

Reaction score
Might also point out that seven good GPs are more than enough to start up the beast. Leave the swollen GP in but disconnected. Bench test the seven you have - I’ll bet 3 or 4 of them are done. And be careful to get the right replacements.

Kurt_M

Reaction score
I woiuldn't give up yet. I broke a glow plug on my 6.9. I could look in the hole and see the broken tip jammed in the hole. I was able to thread a drywall screw into the center on the broken off tip. Using lots of various oils and sprays, I was able to get it out, amazing, yes, but it did work out.

bumblebeer

Reaction score
Guys I just changed my glow plugs on my 93 7.3 because 3 of them weren’t working at all. I got 7 out and changed but one must be swollen up on the tip at least that’s what it feels like . Should I pull the head and get it out or run it as it is. If I pull one head I’m gonna pull both and have a valve job done on both heads. What do you think?
Definitely don't leave it in there. If it's swollen, only a matter if time until the tip drops and contacts a piston. I'd either remove the heads, use a speciality tool like @Nero suggests or maybe drill it out depending on the particular situation. Whatever you do, just don't be like me...

Unfortunately helicoil isn't going to be an option. I done goofed it up real good. Who let me have access to power tools anyway???

I did finally get the EZ out, well... out, by eating away at it with a (multiple) diamond coated Dremel bits. After it was removed, I got to work drilling.

I started with a bit that was about the same size as the inside thread diameter of the glow plug. Although I was able to drill down a little past the threaded section, I was not able to pick out what was left of the glow plug threads. I believe they got married to the sides of the hole at some point during my welding adventures.

So then I went with a 13/32 bit cause I believe that is damn close to the correct size to use with a 10x1.0mm helicoil. So after completely drilling out the threads, I was able to remove what was left of the glow plug. With the tip still attached! So that's the good news.

The bad news is that at some point during my drilling adventures, I put a bad angle on the hole. See the crappy illustration below.

You must be registered for see images attach

So it was close enough for me to remove what was left of the glow plug, but not close enough for me to insert a new one with a helicol. It gets bound up, and I'm sure if I were to get it tapped with a helicoil and somehow managed to get the plug back in, that the glow plug shoulder would not seal properly with the head.

Luckily, I guess if anything here could be considered luck, I didn't mangle the entire hole. The 1/4 - 3/8 of an inch that's below the glow plug threads is still intact.

Oh and with no worries about having a glow plug tip rattling around in the combustion chamber, I went ahead and compression tested the other cylinders. Got between 400 and 450 on all of them, so I got that going for me.

Anyway, unless anyone has a better idea, here is my plan to fix this awful mess and hopefully still have a functional glow plug in cylinder 6.

1. Use a Dremel or similar to eat away at the top of the hole just enough so one of the old glow plugs will fit in.

2. Insert an old glow plug so it sits in the part I haven't screwed with.
3. Take a diamond or carbide hole saw that just fits around the glow plug and use it to widen the hole with the glow plug as a guide. I have a diamond one that is nominally 1/2. Should make a hole around 0.52 Hopefully this will make the new even larger hole square so the glow plug will seat and seal properly.

4. Tap the new larger hole hopefully to 9/16-8. Or maybe 3/8 NPT if I wallow the hole out too much while going at it with the hole saw.
5. Thread in a bushing matching the outside diameter and thread pitch, already having the center drilled and taped to 10x1.0mm for the glow plug. I think I can use a 3/8x1/4 iron pipe reducer bushing for this with the hex head cut off, but I'm going tomorrow to see what I can dig up at the hardware store.
6. Compression test cylinder #6.
7. Hopefully the compression test will be okay and then I can reassemble with red thread lock or maybe JB Weld on the bushing and anti seize on the plug, and be done.

I guess if that doesn't work, I'll be tapping and screwing in a length of threaded rod with plenty of thread sealant or JB Weld, and saying goodbye to #6 glow plug. Then I'll probably go have a long cry, or a lot of whiskey. Hell probably both! Before I do anything else with this truck. Longest "15 minute" job I've ever done.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Glow plug puller
That's almost what I did with the one that came apart. It was #8 that was being a pain, so I just used vice grips on it, then a pry bar against the tip of the vice grips against the intake, popped right out.

Several thousand miles later, Truck running just fine

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wondering if loosening the plug until the threads are disengaged from the head, laying a heavy board over the engine, and cranking (or starting) it would blow the plug straight out? cookoo
(The board is to prevent a high-speed bullet leaving the engine compartment)...
of course that would only work if the plug will come that far up before binding.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just used vice grips on it
Was the tool you used...original, authorized, certified, and approved vise-grips...?

Or some ******, cheap, knock-off 'probably-will-fail-and-hurt-you' kinda lump of inferior metal...? And I use the term 'metal' loosely...

Just checking...you have free will....but don't say I didn't warn ya...

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Was the tool you used...original, authorized, certified, and approved vise-grips...?

Or some ******, cheap, knock-off 'probably-will-fail-and-hurt-you' kinda lump of inferior metal...? And I use the term 'metal' loosely...

Just checking...you have free will....but don't say I didn't warn ya...
I only use vice grip brand vice grips. The rest are inferior and typically get thrown across the shop. Even the Snap On ones. Total garbo

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Newbie here, never done it, but lemme run this up the pole...

I remember TV ads about engine oil additives ( Slick 50?, DuraLube? ) that showed a guy trying to stop a rotating shaft bathed in the product while a display indicated shaft torque, and how much pressure it took to break the oil film.

Could such a thing be useful to lubricate a swollen glow plug ( loose, but swollen and won't clear the hole ) much like one used a lubricant to remove a ring from a finger?

Once the film is overcome, it apparently doesn't help much. Maybe there's some lubricant out there that is optimized for this purpose?

Maybe something used for steel wire dies?

Anyway, this struck me while reading this woe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86