Steering Issues

Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, Big Red is at again. Just when I start thinking I can go a month or two without putting money in my truck, I get proven wrong.

Today, driving home from work, I noticed the steering was really tight. :dunno No whine from the pump when turning, but there was a strange noise coming from the steering column. It's hard to describe, but whenever I turned a corner there was a clicking sound, kind of like someone was pulling a wire tie closed really, really slow. Like I said, it's a hard sound to describe. Anyway, my steering is pretty tight. So tight, I can't let the wheels straighten themselves out after turning a corner. I need to get this fixed tonight if I can, I don't have anything else to drive. I was really thinking of making a quick fix -Flame Thr to the truck, but need some form of transportation so that is not an option.

Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fluid level in the pump is fine and there are no leaks. The pump was my first thought, but like I said, there is absolutely no noise coming from the pump; even sitting in the driveway and turning the wheel, no noise from the pump. The sound I heard was coming from the steering column.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my pump went it did not make any noise. It just stopped working making it real hard to steer. Like yours I had to bring the wheel back manually.

You might want to try to loosen the high pressure hose from the steering box and see if any fluid is pumping under pressure. If not then you know it is the pump. I would not remove the hose fitting totally. Have someone turn the wheel back and forth while you are watching.

Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll get a pump tomorrow and put it on. Any tips from your experience that might keep me from giving serious thought to just touching a match to the truck? I was gonna push it over a cliff, but my mother-in-law wasn't available to steer as it went over.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was gonna push it over a cliff, but my mother-in-law wasn't available to steer as it went over.

:rotflmao :rotflmao :hail :hail

Before you go spending money on the pump- check the steering column bearings. Is there any play in the steering wheel side to side or front to back (not turning the wheel?)

I had a buddy with a 96 PSD that had column bearing so worn out that it acted like a bound up steering box without power steering. I think all the new bushings and bearings were less than $100 from Ford...

Ryan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7