Return to center issues

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As the title states truck doesn’t return to center worth a hoot
86 f250 2wd twin I beam

New alignment, tires, red head steering gear, and tierods

For the longest time it was like driving a forklift absolutely 0 return to center

Tried to grease the kingpins unsuccessfully many times finally got them to take grease lifting the front off the ground and turning tires which helped a little

I lost the alignment sheet but the tires look like this off the ground if that tells you anything

Excuse the horrible lighting but you can get the jist in this video
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I’ve been told in Facebook “it can’t be your kingpins” multiple times as they “can never fail”

But being that getting grease in the kingpins was the only thing that effected the problem makes me thing other wise

What’s the deal here folks?

Attachments

• IMG_0967.jpeg
    IMG_0967.jpeg
    211.7 KB · Views: 11

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
What axle do you have? Kingpins and ball joints are two totally different animals. I don't think the bullnoze came with king pins.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I'm like 99% sure those are ball joints then. Worn ball joints can cause all sorts of whackadoo issues. A reputable alignment shop could have seen if they were worn out or not. You could always check them yourself.

Improper caster and toe are contributors to poor return to center. On the ball joint setups they use offset inserts to adjust the caster and camber. Maybe take it to another alignment shop for a second opinion?

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm like 99% sure those are ball joints then. Worn ball joints can cause all sorts of whackadoo issues. A reputable alignment shop could have seen if they were worn out or not. You could always check them yourself.

Improper caster and toe are contributors to poor return to center. On the ball joint setups they use offset inserts to adjust the caster and camber. Maybe take it to another alignment shop for a second opinion?
Pretty sure they are kingpins lmc diagrams and parts stores list them as kingpins but I don’t know a whole lot about from axles so could be mistaken
I take it as 100-250 had ball joints and 250HD and 350 had kingpins

Attachments

• IMG_0884.png
    IMG_0884.png
    673.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0973.png
    IMG_0973.png
    590.9 KB · Views: 16

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Nero my 83 has kingpins. I think it was only carried over on the diesel trucks. And I'm also not sure what year they switched those to ball joints.

James

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Austin86250 do you have a steering stabilizer? If so try unhooking it, I have seen them get hard to move and not allow it to come back to center.

There is also a thrust bearing between the bottom of the I beam and steering knuckle. If one of them is bad it will create a lot of friction causing stiff steering and no return to center.

James

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As the title states truck doesn’t return to center worth a hoot
86 f250 2wd twin I beam

New alignment, tires, red head steering gear, and tierods

For the longest time it was like driving a forklift absolutely 0 return to center

Tried to grease the kingpins unsuccessfully many times finally got them to take grease lifting the front off the ground and turning tires which helped a little

I lost the alignment sheet but the tires look like this off the ground if that tells you anything

Excuse the horrible lighting but you can get the jist in this video
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I’ve been told in Facebook “it can’t be your kingpins” multiple times as they “can never fail”

But being that getting grease in the kingpins was the only thing that effected the problem makes me thing other wise

What’s the deal here folks?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't trust most alignment places. They usually set the toe, charge you $75 and send you on your way. A good shop will check the whole frontend over before even trying to align it. Your kingpins not taking grease was a sign.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Well can't be right all the time. Best way I can tell if it's a king pin is if it has the big spring retainer on top like on the Dana 60. I just assumed all TTB's had ball joints. The D50 I built once upon a time had ball joints in it.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 86 F-250 has King Pins.
I had a shop rebuilt the whole front end, new Springs, Shocks, Axle Pivot Bushings, Lower arm Bushings etc....

The Pivot Bushings were pretty chewed up with slop. I was going to just do them my self, but then thought with the miles it had at the time, just do the whole front end.
It is an older shop and the owner worked on these trucks years ago. Got the alignment spot on.
One problem he had was finding someone with the King Pin reamer tool. Not many King Pin vehicles out on the road anymore.

I have a King Pin that gives me problem now and then that won`t take grease. I try to keep them greased up, every 1K miles,
I had a top one that wouldn`t take grease. There is a cap that screws on the Zerk screws into. Removed it, wiped out the grease and filled the top of the KP with kroil. replaced cap and drove it for a while so the Kroil could work down, then took grease.

IDK for sure, but I bet wider tires could be a factor in the steering coming back to center.
The 86 had 265 width tires, after the rebuild it drove like a dream.
Didn`t wonder all over the road, was like new. Did notice once in a while it would pull one side or other like a rut in the road.
Russ (shop owner) said go back to the stock size (235). I did, 2 new tires and no more problems.

Just my observations and experience on same year truck.

Goat

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to add I have some buttery smooth steering but I do have a new redhead and Saginaw,
If there was something binding Aka kingpins being weird wouldn’t it be more difficult to steer?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to add I have some buttery smooth steering but I do have a new redhead and Saginaw,
If there was something binding Aka kingpins being weird wouldn’t it be more difficult to steer?
The power steering hides any extra effort it might take. Though you might notice the pump moaning a little more than usual, it's hard to discern if you have nothing to compare it to.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The power steering hides any extra effort it might take. Though you might notice the pump moaning a little more than usual, it's hard to discern if you have nothing to compare it to.
Even when I had a Ford pump it was quite, only other things to compare it to is a 95 150 2wd but it has ball joints or a 88 with a d60 and a 93 with a d50 and all of those trucks have insanely loud ps but return to center

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got the king pins, brakes, and wheel bearing ordered
No clue what I’m getting into but I’ll figure it out

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin