New P/S pump but still stiff steering/won't return to center

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does it return to center normally with the engine shut off?
No. I checked all the linkage in the front steering and can't find anything that's binding. New pump and steering gear changed nothing. Joints in the steering shaft assembly all move smooth and free. Stub shafts in axle spin freely through range of turning. Steering wheel moves smoother lock to lock if front axle is on jack stands but still doesn't properly return to center. While driving at 25-35mph it takes extra effort to control the steering wheel going into and then out of a corner--no assist returning to center, and the same behavior was noted even at highway speeds although the turns were not very sharp. I just can't see what else it would be if not the column assembly. Admittedly the upper bearing feels tight as there is no wobble in the shaft where the steering wheel slides on. I'm outta' ideas.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about the PS return lines/hoses? Perhaps a restriction there is causing some peculiar behavior with the valving in the steering box. Maybe try lifting both front tires off the ground and compare the steering with the engine off, and with the engine running.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Steering should return to center on its own, unassisted (when in motion) because of caster angle and vehicle weight. If you're fighting it back to straight, there's a geometry issue.

What do your springs and bushings look like?

Black dawg

Reaction score
Wasn't clear enough with my question, but on a paved road with no other traffic, and at like 35 40mph....with the engine shut off......weave a little like NASCAR warming up the tires. If it returns to center normally, the problem is from the gear to the steering wheel. If it still sucks, something from the steering gear to the tires is not moving correctly. Make sure the column doesn't get licked during this.......maybe safer to pull belt.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wasn't clear enough with my question, but on a paved road with no other traffic, and at like 35 40mph....with the engine shut off......weave a little like NASCAR warming up the tires. If it returns to center normally, the problem is from the gear to the steering wheel. If it still sucks, something from the steering gear to the tires is not moving correctly. Make sure the column doesn't get licked during this.......maybe safer to pull belt.
Locked, make sure the column doesn’t get locked. I imagine it would be difficult to keep your eyes on the road trying to lick the column.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online