Return to center issues

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
King pins aren't that hard. You just need a giant hex driver to get them out.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im lost, are we talking about A or B?

A
You must be registered for see images

b
You must be registered for see images attach

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
The upper bushing part. Depending on the kit you get, the king pin itself can be replaced. It just unthreads, but is torqued to something like 300ftlbs?cant remember it's been a minute since I rebuilt mine.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im lost, are we talking about A or B?

A
You must be registered for see images

b
Austin’s truck is 2WD I think so I would bet B

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This, I don’t see an Allen but maybe it’s under the grease zerk/ top and bottom covers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 8

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This, I don’t see an Allen but maybe it’s under the grease zerk/ top and bottom covers

Take the top and bottom cover off, and removoe the bolt center in between ends. A brass punch and hammer might get it out, other wise it a press.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked the bearing in the column. I had this problem, thought it was ps pump but it was bearing. #5 in picture.

Attachments

• IMG_1231.png
    IMG_1231.png
    524.6 KB · Views: 8

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my suggestion is to undo the tie rods from the knuckle and try turning it back and forth. it should be able to turn with little effort.
if it takes a lot of effort there is your binding.

likely kingpins.
could also be gearbox, but generally that is only hard to return to center in one direction

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my suggestion is to undo the tie rods from the knuckle and try turning it back and forth. it should be able to turn with little effort.
if it takes a lot of effort there is your binding.

likely kingpins.
could also be gearbox, but generally that is only hard to return to center in one direction
The reason I’m going after the kingpins so confidently is the only thing that changes it is when I grease the king pins,

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked the bearing in the column. I had this problem, thought it was ps pump but it was bearing. #5 in picture.
While the bearing in my current column sucks, my old auto column as tight as a nuns k*nt and it had the same problem

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
King pins take a special reaming tool. When the new bushings are pressed in they shrink a little bit. This is on purpose, both bushings must be perfectly aligned for a friction free fit with no play. After the bushings are pressed in, the machine shop takes a reamer and runs down through both bushings and then tries the new king afterward to check the fit. They slowly open up the ID of the bushings till they get a perfect fit. Sometimes it's hard to find someone who knows how to do it. Big trucks still use kingpins, so they may know how to do it, but may not have a reamer small enough for your pickup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online