Kingpin thrust bearing Mod (steering return to center)

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This one will be a long read. I held off on mentioning this little mod because I wasn't 100% sure how well it would work out in terms of longevity. Granted, my truck doesn't get used much anymore but it has been a couple years since I attempted this little hack and its still working great.

Ok, storytime...

My longest complaint with this truck was how poorly the steering would return to center when completing a turn. The problem was worse during a lane change at highway speed. Lane tracking was also quite a chore. There always seemed to be enough friction in the front end to prevent the engineered caster/camber dynamics from pulling the truck straight as was intended by designers.

This wasn't a problem in my F150 for a few reasons:

1. The F150 uses ball joints while the F250's in 1986 still used old school kingpins.

2. The F150 always had a pull to one side the likely masked any vagueness near center at light steering inputs.

3. Even though power steering was standard by 1986, F250s of 1980 vintage were still designed to work without power steering. This meant that caster angle was quite small, which reduces steering effort. Unfortunately it also meant less force available to pull the truck straight of its own accord(remember, caster actually lifts the vehicle slightly when the wheels are turned)

The results were quite tiring on long drives. Minor corrections for lane tracking at highway speeds often snagged in the steering friction only to pop loose unexpectedly (expansion joints, bridges, etc). So yes, bump steer was part of the problem. This caused over-corrections and even led me to believe there was excessive play in the front end. In time, I simply learned to deal with it by applying gentle input and waiting for the truck to respond. Watching my dad try to drive it on rare occasions only confirmed something was wrong (with the truck, not him).

At this point, you're probably thinking the kingpins weren't greased. Well I greased the living hell out of them before replacing them...then greased it up some more. The PO had also greased them liberally.

Having said that, the thrust bearings were shot when I got the truck. The sintered bronze bushing was all but chewed away and it was steel on steel bearing the load of the front half of the truck. Vertical play in the knuckle was about 1/8".

A complete kingpin set helped slightly but still didn't cure it. I gave up for a while and lived with it figuring I'd convert to 4wd eventually anyway.

New steering box. Yup, I even fooled myself into thinking that adjuster screw could fix it. Nope. This is almost NEVER worth messing with as I later found out.

Tie rod ends? Nope. It still wouldn't pull to center and I still had to steer the truck like an container ship on the highway.

Caster adjustable radius arm bushings? Nope, that made zero difference but they are still in there to this day.

By now I got pretty good at aligning this truck and everything checked out.

After a new set of tires, and having everything balanced nicely I found the problem only got worse. Later when one of the weights flew off and started shaking, it got better. In fact it felt like a whole new truck at 70 mph due to how well it would give feedback through the wheel and accept input for even the slightest lane tracking correction...so the issue definitely wasn't in the alignment. It was friction.

At this point I came to a realization.

The only thing left that could be causing the problem was the thrust bearing itself (the poorly balanced wheel was causing enough vertical vibration to loosen the front knuckles). Googling at the time confirmed that needle bearing conversion kits were available for older vintage trucks that came with kingpin style knuckles (mostly Chevy, of course). It turns out many big rigs also use needle bearings instead of bushings on their I-Beam front ends.

Naturally there wouldn't be anything for an 86 F250, so I started looking into making something up myself. I figured the main pin bushings weren't the problem and most of the friction would be eliminated at the thrust bushing.

Continued....

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After a long search I narrowed it down to two options, ball bearings or needle bearings:

1: Ball bearings. Typically were too tall to fit in the original location of the thrust bushing (3/8"). Load ratings were also not very high. Static load was fine, but shock loading was my concern.

2: Needle bearings were thin enough to fit and did have high load ratings (static, dynamic and shock ratings were all way over ball bearing). Only problem is, I couldn't find an exact match to the kingpin diameter.

After many websites and cross referencing part numbers to dimensions and then back again, I found an *** bearing that might work. A local supplier could have ordered one in, but at $100 each I backed out.

Then I lucked out and found a needle bearing from a ford A4LD transmission (early ranger and aerostar). The inside dimension was too small but it was really close...maybe I could bore out the race slightly. Best of all, I could get them for $45 each at the local dealer. Still spendy but somewhat more expendable.

You must be registered for see images attach

Continued...

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after some tinkering on our el-cheapo chinese mini-lathe, I had them to the point that it would fit the around the kingpins and still be functional. Remember, this won't be spinning very fast since its all static load.

Continued...

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next problem was how much thinner they were compared to the original thrust bushing. At roughly 1/8", I needed shims to make up the difference (original thrust bushing was about 3/8"). The brass washers I found were exactly 1/8" thick and also fit nicely around the king pin.

Continued...

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last problem; seals. Since this was intended to work with a constant supply of ATF, it had no provision for oil or dust seals. However, since the washers were much wider than the bearing, I had a couple options. Shown in the photo was a piece of rubber hose that I used to test the idea. In the end I found an O-ring that worked much better (apologies for not taking a photo of that part).

After putting it all back together, this one mod eliminated about 75% of the 'stiction' I was experiencing on center. I don't know if this is something others have experienced with this vintage of F250 2wd but after years of tinkering on and off with this annoyance it seems to have worked. Who knows, I may still hang a front drive axle some day and this will all be for nothing, but until then, its a joy to drive at any speed.

And as a standard disclaimer, I'm not suggesting anyone try this at home. So far its worked fine for me but time will tell if it lasts as well as the original bronze style thrust bushings. And if it does fail for some reason, nothing on the truck itself was hacked so going back to the stock setup is still an option.

End...

Last edited:

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
only downside i see. cant get grease into it. on semi trucks there is a seal on the top side of the bearing. when you grease the lower kingpin, it will push grease into the bearing.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
You could bore the KP center with a grease hole into the bearing to grease it.........

Dunno :dunno

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thrust bushing was actually worse because there were no grooves on the bronze washer. The needle bearings provide a permanent gap between the upper and lower races at all times to pull grease in. If you look at the inner race that I turned open, there are notches from the factory that would theoretically allow to get in grease in.

I probably won't bother tearing it all down anytime soon to verify though.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
but there are no seals to keep anything else out. i would be greasing them pretty reguarly just to keep the bearing clean. the bushings are mor forgiving to debris than the needles.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's no clearance on the vertical stack so the only place dirt can get in is between the outer edge of the bearing plates. That's where I installed a thick O-ring, which is sealed between the two plates. The overhang of the brass washers also helps protect the O-ring seal itself from debris. The original thrust bushing didn't even have a seal, just a drip proof shoulder that hung down from the top of the assembly. Time will tell if it actually works.