New steering gear stiff?

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a lower seal leaking so I bit the bullet and bought a Red Head box to replace the original. It's all good except it takes a bit more effort to steer. Not so much that it's annoying, but it's noticeable. Is there normally a break in period after which things will move easier or is my pump not up to the task of driving the new gear or maybe something else from the install?
It's totally fine. I'm just curious why it feels different.
For once I have direct application help! I have a Redhead steering box, purchased before the Bluehead split. I've also heard rumors that Bluehead is the better outfit these days, FWIW. Redhead is in Seattle so I was able to get one in person.

I had the same problem, it was a little tight. I called them cause that wasn't gonna fly for me, they said occasionally they get a call like mine and to just back off the adjuster screw a little at a time until it feels good, no warranty voided or anything. By a little they said 1/8 or 1/4 turn(I can't remember). Make sure to hold the screw in the same position when you tighten the jam nut back down.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2 guys at the shop, working with my truck on a lift, said it wasn't fun. 5 hrs. labor listed on my bill + $6 for fluid.
Seems like my $350 was well spent vs trying to do it myself on my garage floor in 24 degree temps.
That's a crazy amount of shop time I feel...but I agree if it was going to be a 10 hour job in 24 degree weather, no thankyou!
I'd never done one before and it wasn't fun, but I think I got her done in about 3 hours. That was a long time ago! But on the plus side I've never had to adjust it since then.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Steering gear replacement on these trucks is about a easy as they get. Did that shop give any explanation as to why they charged 5 hours?

Also, leave the adjustment alone. It will wear in.