Steering column hot?

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Since my one and only no start situation, I've noticed that the cast aluminum on the steering column (that houses the ignition key tumbler) is a bit warm to the touch after driving. Haven't been able to pull the steering wheel and look closely inside, but I also haven't had any fuses for anything pop (and they are the correct fuses). Never happen on my gasser, even when I did have wires grounding out inside.

Anyone else experience this?

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have never noticed if my column was hot, but I would probably start taking it apart to try and solve the problem. There are quite a few wires in there that could get worn.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Indeed there are, but it would have to be something that's only energized with ignition power on. Turn signals or flashers maybe? Guess I'll just have to get into it when I can.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Well I went out to leave for work today and for a few cranks into starting and the ignition cut out like a battery cable was loose. Tried again and got a pop from under the dash and the fender mounted starter relay is just shuttering like there's a bad connection (rapid clicking). Could check fuses as it has literally just then started raining very heavily. Couldn't get power in the key "on" position to get the windows rolled up, but got power in the "accessory" position.

With the key on, WIF light (PO grounded the lead) flashes on and then everything but the radio goes out. The lighted switch to manually torn on the reverse lights (for trailer fumbling after dark or successful lane change) comes on dimly. Guess I'll be pulling the steering wheel tomorrow instead of this weekend.

Anyone ever had this happen or have any ideas?

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your symptoms go along with the hot Column issue. Those columns are not to hard to get apart and there not too complicated. Just don't loose any parts.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Wish I had to funds to swap in a tilt column. I've been in them before, had to replace the car aluminum piece for the actuator rod and the electronics on the one in Bruiser years ago. I hope that it's just a grounded wire inside.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ain't got time to look 4 days ago, now in deep poo poo. LOL Not sarcastic, just the truth.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Ain't got time to look 4 days ago, now in deep poo poo. LOL Not sarcastic, just the truth.

Yup. I noticed it before that, but had to drive an extra 200 miles in the wee hours of the morning after work this week on top of the normal miles.

SethB

Reaction score
Anybody ever figure something out? I put fuel in mine today, when i got home I noticed the column was a little warm.