Stanadyne Lubricity Formula

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with everyone so far that at least run some type of additive with your fuel, but I read the diesel additive test that bbjordan posted about 6 months ago when I bought my 91 7.3, that was enough to sell me on the opti lube xdp. Been running it ever since, its about 55$ a gallon and treats like 500 gallons or so IIRC

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lubricity additive is added to low sulphur fuel to make up for what is lost by the new refining process. Supposed to be, anyway. It's often done at the distributor level, not at the refinery. Putting in the additives at the distributor level is common practice and has been for decades. Raw un-additivized fuel is shipped to the distributors who then add their own additives (to suit the brand name... each has their own recipe). Some additivized fuel is shipped from refineries, such as a Chevron refinery that might also be the local distributor for example. Anyway, if the fuel is properly bended, no additional additives are needed. If not, it won't kill your pump right away but a long term diet is harmful. The real issue is the whether the distributor is a corner-cutter or has a bozos on staff that screw up when installing the additives.To the extent there is a problem, that's where it lies. Did the research for a story a few years back and talked to a fellow at Chevron and a couple of regional distributors. The story got killed but the research didn't go to waste!

The Spicer test as linked above is a good one and to the extent I add anything, it's 2-stroke oil. Has better lubricity than some (many) of the high dollar additives AND it's designed to be combusted... which means no carbon deposits.

You read a lot of about ULSD and lubricity but I think it's overhyped by and large. The worst of the chicken little talk comes from the people who have the most to gain from us hershey-squirting and frantically buying additives. Adds a lot to the fuel costs if you do. Talk to pump shops and you don't see a rash of failures due to ULSD. Again, a good distributor = good fuel and no need for additives. Long trips and unknown stations is when I would consider an additive.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have customers who swear that the Performance Formula pays for itself in fuel savings. That's a good reason to run it right there. The Lubricity additive is what I put in any time I install a new IP. I fill the fuel filter with it, and that way the fresh pump gets a healthy dose of lubrication right off the bat, and for the next 500 miles. After that, the Performance formula is good enough. We sell it, and Hastings filters also.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To follwoup what Mel said above, I too have seen a difference with the Perfomance Formula. It was worth 9 rwhp with a 6.2L GM on a dyno (which was significant since it was only doing about 100) and that translated to about 8 mph faster cresting that first hill out of Denver, CO going west. That was in the late '90s, however. We tested the fuel and it was 38C, so the boost of 3-4 points made a difference. Don't know about the 6.9L, but the 6.2 was designed for a 40-45 optimal cetane rating. On the dyno, we found that adding cetane past a theoretical of about 45 didn't add any more power (we didn't have a lab that could test the cetane of the fuel after the PF was added but we could check the original fuel and had the data from Stanadyne on how much a specific mix added). At that time, we could get 50C fuel in some stations in CO (Total) and the butt dyno could tell the difference, either with PF or the 50C fuel. I'll say again, with the reformulated fuel, I can't say how much bearing any of this has on today but it made for interesting studies and stories back in the late '90s. I did a series of articles for Four Wheeler on it and one of them is still on the web!! Look Here: http://www.fourwheeler.com/project-vehicles/chevrolet-blazer-diesel-banks-sidewinder-turbo-kit/

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You read a lot of about ULSD and lubricity but I think it's overhyped by and large. The worst of the chicken little talk comes from the people who have the most to gain from us hershey-squirting and frantically buying additives. Adds a lot to the fuel costs if you do. Talk to pump shops and you don't see a rash of failures due to ULSD. Again, a good distributor = good fuel and no need for additives. Long trips and unknown stations is when I would consider an additive.

That's kind of what I thought as many heavy trucks on the road are from before the days of ULSD and the way people talk you would think they would be trashing fuel systems constantly but they're not. 1,000,000+ mile engines and no fuel additives... Yeah that low sulfur diesel is some terrible stuff.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
That's kind of what I thought as many heavy trucks on the road are from before the days of ULSD and the way people talk you would think they would be trashing fuel systems constantly but they're not. 1,000,000+ mile engines and no fuel additives... Yeah that low sulfur diesel is some terrible stuff.

Most over the road commercial diesels use a form of unit injectors or common rail fuel systems. Which does not have the same type of injection pump as we do on our idi's. And even the old mechanically injected commercial engines, (the last of the bunch may have been the early 3406?? or DT466 in medium duty) used pretty robust inline pumps that were not harmed as much by ULSD as we are.

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most over the road commercial diesels use a form of unit injectors or common rail fuel systems. Which does not have the same type of injection pump as we do on our idi's. And even the old mechanically injected commercial engines, (the last of the bunch may have been the early 3406?? or DT466 in medium duty) used pretty robust inline pumps that were not harmed as much by ULSD as we are.

I know unit injection is king in heavy duty... I actually work for International. Just pointing out the way people talk about ULSD makes you think it's killing children in 3rd world countries. One problem that does seem to come with it is corrosion. International has "acceptable corrosion levels" for fuel tanks etc.

International DT engines were the last of the injection pump engines so far as I know... I'm not a CAT guy so I don't know on the 3406.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ULSD still has to meet a certain standard for reciprocating ring scar testing that is "supposed" to be within acceptable limits. But there is no doubt there is more wear than before. Exactly how much is difficult to say, but lubricity aside, there is also no doubt that the BTU content of diesel has decreased, as has the fuel mileage that used to be attainable from it without additives.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the increase in fuel economy pay for the the additive? Or does it give you better MPG at a higher overall cost?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I really have not compared the mileage I get running or not running the stanadyne performance formula. I could make a guess and hope to break even but no idea. I run it because another Moose pump will cost money I can't spend right now. If I could I would have a spare on the shelf...

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been thinking about these specific 'costly' products such as, Diesel Service, Stanadyne Lubricity Formula etc...

I would think those products still must adhere to the EPA rules and if it tells you on the bottle you can add it to your diesel fuel, and the "dose recommend" how can they work very well while meeting EPA guidelines???

For "lubricity" alone...TC-W3 @ one oz per gal of fuel may be hard to beat...no?

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put in some performance formula yesterday, burned about a quarter tank since, so it should be running through by now for sure.

Maybe I'm just expecting results, but boy does it seem different. It seems to be a tad faster in all gears at high RPMS. But the main thing I noticed is the smoke. I have never seen this much black smoke from the thing. It literally just started today after I put that performance formula in. It is mainly in 3rd through 5th gear. Going down the interstate, If I even touch the pedal a little bit to pull out around a car, its smoking a decent amount.

Is this something to be expected??

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ I notice when adding TC-W3 to my tank, a heavy-pedal will put some bluish smoke out the tail pipe.
However, can't say I noticed any unusual smoke even with a heavy dose of Power Service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online