Stanadyne Lubricity Formula

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about how expensive that crap is where I get it, something like 10 bucks for a 16 oz bottle. Thought I would look to see if it was cheaper elsewhere.

I found it on amazon in a bulk jug for half price per oz.

http://www.amazon.com/STANADYNE-DIE...396129174&sr=8-1&keywords=stanadyne+lubricity

Is lubricity pretty much the recommended additive, or are there other stanadyne products that are better, or other products all together that you guys like to use?

I recently had my IP rebuilt and want to take care of it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
There is another way of looking at this lube. Who made it and what did they make it for.. Well its made by Stanadyne and they make the DB2 injection pump we run.. Still wondering if its any good or not... I was buying the performance formula for $32.00 per half gallon many years ago because I wanted it and could not find it anywhere. A couple of gallons of that got me to learn how to search for what I want.

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity... Why run a lubricity additive? I know everyone does since the onset of low sulfur diesel but sulfur isn't a lubricant so what gives? Did something else change in the makeup of diesel fuel that it can't lubricate as well?

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run the Performance because the info page shows it to be basically more of a multi-purpose additive, with some cleaners in it to keep the system clean as well as lubed. I'm certainly not going to say run it OVER lubricity. Honestly, my pump is old. How old, I'm not sure, but old enough that I'm going to replace it within two years. That being said, it still runs pretty well, but since I'm planning on replacing it, I'm not overly concerned with additives. I just run what I run to help it along.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not the sulfur that's the problem. It's the other stuff you loose during the desulfurization that causes the lack of lubricity. At least that's how it was explained to me by someone who's pretty smart and had done a lot of reading on the subject.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
The performance fomula is supposed to increase centane numbers if I remember right. So if you are after higher centane to help squeeze a bit more power out of your fuel, them maybe the performace formula is what you need. It does aid in lubricity also, according to the labeling.
What do I run? ...well I do have a case of 16oz bottles of lubricity formula because im only concerned about lubricity in additives; to prolong the life of our pumps. yes I do find it expensive, especially when we are paying these rediculous prices at the pump already. So in the warmer 6 months of the year, I run a properly refined, filtered, washed and dried bio blend. Maybe 20% at the most. Nothing lubes better then veg.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Whats been osted here is really whats going on with the dry fuels and the need to sun something to help lube the pump. What you run is a personal choice but please run something. Or know that you will need a pump and injectors sooner than whats concidered noremal life of these parts. What I believe is the best lube would be oil. It can be wmo too or new clean oil. It has its own set of issues as many know. then I feel vegi oil is next in the lube line. The amount you choose to run is up to you but the 20% sounds really good to me. It also has its set of issues like lower cetane so the mileage goes down some. but if its nearly free because your refining it from free fry oil why worry about lost mileage. I don't run anything but diesel from the pumps and to that I add stanadyne performance formula at 4 oz per tank. In 2009 I bought 3 cases of 1/2 jugs from a shop in Phoenix on my way to the rally in Ky. I got 18 jugs each are 1/2 gallon and I am down to 3 jugs now. Time to restock I guess. From all I have read up on the stuff I can safely just add this amount to every other tank full of diesel and still be protected. With that information I still add to every tank full. Thats a personal choice...

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats been osted here is really whats going on with the dry fuels and the need to sun something to help lube the pump. What you run is a personal choice but please run something. Or know that you will need a pump and injectors sooner than whats concidered noremal life of these parts. What I believe is the best lube would be oil. It can be wmo too or new clean oil. It has its own set of issues as many know. then I feel vegi oil is next in the lube line. The amount you choose to run is up to you but the 20% sounds really good to me. It also has its set of issues like lower cetane so the mileage goes down some. but if its nearly free because your refining it from free fry oil why worry about lost mileage. I don't run anything but diesel from the pumps and to that I add stanadyne performance formula at 4 oz per tank. In 2009 I bought 3 cases of 1/2 jugs from a shop in Phoenix on my way to the rally in Ky. I got 18 jugs each are 1/2 gallon and I am down to 3 jugs now. Time to restock I guess. From all I have read up on the stuff I can safely just add this amount to every other tank full of diesel and still be protected. With that information I still add to every tank full. Thats a personal choice...

So gary, your sayin that the performance formula has enough lubricity to it (though not as much as the lubricity formula), that it is your choice of additive? I am on the fence between the two, but I think that if the performance formula provides the lube needed, that would be my choice for all the other benefits.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Lubricity studies

Here is some good Sunday reading material regarding lubricity:

Attachments

• Diesel_fuel_additive_test.pdf
    130.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 06 fuel lubricity.pdf
    31.8 KB · Views: 10

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The largest supplier around here is a chevron supplier. They supply many stations, liquer stores etc with fuels. I asked the owners kid about diesel and lube and he said its added to make up for what was removed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle