Air shocks

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone tried air shocks on their cars or trucks? I'm finding plenty of info for air bags that are used for load leveling, but not much info on using shocks and struts.

So far, I can identify the convoluted style bags, which are for load leveling and not good for lifts since they stiffen when aired up (loaded or not). Rolling sleeve bags tend to be more supple and have better ride with longer travel. I'm not too sure about air shocks but I think they tend to get stiff when aired up (similar to convoluted bags).

Apparently the later GMC SUVs use them for variable ride height and I'm wondering if something could be retrofitted to an older vehicle.

It looks like GM is using a compact air shock that resembles the rolling sleeve style, but much more compact, and able to fit in tighter spots (like where a conventional shock could fit). Here's an example of some aftermarket replacements:
Vigor Air Strut

My thought is to try replacing the regular shocks with some of these and see if I can gain a couple inches in non-permanent height.

Am I nuts? Anyone else tried this?

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to run a set of air shocks on the front of my 89 f250 4x4 to compensate for the extremely worn out springs.

James

Slicknik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used air shocks on my buggy in the rear and they worked great for a year then they started leaking.
I used bags on the idi rear to help with the sag and stiffen the rear for when I had a lance on the back, 55 psi and they worked great but they made the ride terrible when the bed was empty even at 5 psi

Attachments

• IMG_3479.jpeg
    IMG_3479.jpeg
    312.3 KB · Views: 7

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the purpose? You want "a few inches of non-permanent height", but for what? I can't think of a way to temporarily raise the truck appreciably without also stiffening the ride, air shocks included. If it's for your off-road excursions, maybe if you had on-board air and some switches you could pump them up, climb over the thing, and purge them afterwards. :cheers:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the purpose? You want "a few inches of non-permanent height", but for what? I can't think of a way to temporarily raise the truck appreciably without also stiffening the ride, air shocks included. If it's for your off-road excursions, maybe if you had on-board air and some switches you could pump them up, climb over the thing, and purge them afterwards. :cheers:
That's basically the idea.

I daily the truck for work during the week, and it's not every weekend that I'm able to go off on some adventure in the woods, so the idea of a permanent lift doesn't appeal to me. rolling sleeve bags might work, but not as a replacement for shocks, due to their size, and lack of dampening. So it could be made to work on the rear axle, but not so easily on the front.

Anyway, it's just a thought. Overall, the truck still handles pretty well for what I need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online