So what did you do with your truck today?

Soloman9

Reaction score
Installed GMC electric tow mirrors.
OSB Solutions - CP Addic.
You must be registered for see images attach
Mirrors look great! How was the install? I bet the view is much better!

Soloman9

Reaction score
Got Big Bluey running again today. Replaced the batteries, replaced serpentine tensioner and belt. Was ble to drive down the road, trying to figure out the shifting issue next.

Oh and threw some freon in and blew the line off the condenser. Oops.

Attachments

• 20210919_181940.jpg
    20210919_181940.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 4

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of this?
- 7.3 IDI ran when I pulled it no oil in coolant or coolant in oil
- When I resealed it I noticed there was some cracks in one of the cylinders
- I restarted it dry and it ran fine
- it swallowed a shop rag through the intake which bent push rods
- took it apart, put it back together and restarted it
- noticed cracks got worse on one cylinder
- when I turned it over water came out the one exhaust manifold briefly and then stopped- this time I hooked up the water pump and got water in the oil, pretty much all the water went into the oil
- when I turned it over water came out the one exhaust manifold briefly and then stopped (makes me think cracked cylinder)
- I resealed the oil cooler for the second time to see if that was it, o rings looked new and no damage
- put it back together, restart, fresh oil, it's blowing the water out the radiator (like a blown head gasket) there is oil in the coolant, there is coolant in the oil (like oil cooler.
- pulled glow plug on cracked cylinder and turned over and didn't see any mist of water

Thoughts?
It's all over the place at the moment might have to tear it all the way down to the block and sleeve it.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

There was about 5 seconds of water out the crankcase too. I don't believe it can be anything besides the cooler at this point.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score

There was about 5 seconds of water out the crankcase too. I don't believe it can be anything besides the cooler at this point.
What kind of cracks are you talking about? It’s hard for me to imagine a crack in the cylinder walls that wouldn’t be terminal.

JAKRANCH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New tires and new trailer off camping. Crew cabs all tore apart or the wife and i could've hauled the wheelers and the camper at the same time

Attachments

• 20210918_082323.jpg
    20210918_082323.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 11
  • Message_1631831974743.jpg
    Message_1631831974743.jpg
    443.6 KB · Views: 11

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well these drums keep finding a way to be noisy. Guess prying these drums off so many times weakened the springs, because this back pad now flops around. It rides the outside of drum and makes noise now. I was not wanting to spend any money on this happy axle, so not sure what Im going to do. I want to swap to a early 10.50 but funds are wrapped up in rebuiling a 7.3.
;Pissed

rewbrooks50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mirrors look great! How was the install? I bet the view is much better!
Yes the view is much better. I can see my 32ft 5th wheel RV.
Had to remove the wing and door glass to weld in the mounting plate. A pain to reinstall the door glass. Cost about $320 for parts and mirrors. I am glad I did it.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Finished welding up the rear valance for Earl Sr. this weekend. Even got some layers of primer and plasti dip over it. Also hauled another truckload of ash wood. Probably have another couple full truckloads left, then i'll be splitting and stacking till the snow falls.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of cracks are you talking about? It’s hard for me to imagine a crack in the cylinder walls that wouldn’t be terminal.
General rule of thumb is that crack you can’t feel with a fingernail should be fine and ones you can feel are of concern. This engine ran no problem with the latter. The rag that went through the cylinder may have thrown it over the edge.

also, broken o-ring on the cooler. Put new prongs and then will see if the cylinder is leaking or not.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Driving home from work the right wiper stopped moving and got ran over by the left wiper. Almost lost the left wiper blade. Drove home in the rain with no wipers. I'm so frustrated I haven't even gone out to look and see what broke.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine did that a couple weeks ago, luckily only the passenger side wouldn’t come back on. Mine was only the nylon bushing on the wiper transmission. If they were floppy before they broke, it’s probably the bushings.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine did that a couple weeks ago, luckily only the passenger side wouldn’t come back on. Mine was only the nylon bushing on the wiper transmission. If they were floppy before they broke, it’s probably the bushings.

That's what I'm thinking. Are they even replaceable on these? A new linkage is $80/side ouch!

I'm sure it wasn't helping that the wipers have been broken. I can only use them on high.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online