So what did you do with your truck today?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That seam looks like it may give you problems down the road! Thats where my truck leaked

Shhhh.... If you ignore it it'll go away right? LOL

Yeah it's on the list. I'm slightly surprised how good it looks honestly.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hauled the old junk camper to my buddy's place so he can make a trailer out of it. Then I went to leave and the clutch decided to go out. This is getting old fast!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I hauled the old junk camper to my buddy's place so he can make a trailer out of it. Then I went to leave and the clutch decided to go out. This is getting old fast!
Sorry about the clutch. I've seen trailers made our of old campers. I've also seen people haul them out to where they hunt deer to use as hunting blinds.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry about the clutch

It literally happened at the best possible time. I'm just a little exasperated is all.

I've seen trailers made our of old campers. I've also seen people haul them out to where they hunt deer to use as hunting blinds.

Yeah it just needs too much work to be worth saving is all. The frame is in great shape though so it'll make a great little trailer.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It literally happened at the best possible time. I'm just a little exasperated is all
It's NEVER a good time to have your dually stop working on you. The plus side is that now maybe it's time for that turbo.

Yeah it just needs too much work to be worth saving is all. The frame is in great shape though so it'll make a great little trailer.
I've actually only seen one person (maybe two) make a trailer out of an old camper. I've seen many more use them for hunting blinds. I've thought about trying to turn an old camper into a toy hauler, but have never attempted it. The only thing that I've done with an old camper was that I used the top from an old pop up camper to make a small lean to on the side of my garage years ago. It worked great. I gave him $10 for it. Two of us carried it the half block to my garage, I sunk four treated posts into the ground, he a neighbor with a loader tractor lift it up and sit it on the posts, then I lag bolted it to the posts and the garage.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The plus side is that now maybe it's time for that turbo.

The problem is the money. I may very well just pull the spare engine and stud it one bolt at a time since valley pan gaskets are still unavailable. That way I can get the turbo on and use it.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm going to reuse the valley pan on the Ex Wife. I'm going to use a thin film of RTV on both the head and the intake sides. I know that it's not the best, but it's still better than using nothing.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to reuse the valley pan on the Ex Wife. I'm going to use a thin film of RTV on both the head and the intake sides. I know that it's not the best, but it's still better than using nothing.

I saw a post where Justin (R&D) was talking about possibly producing some since he can't get any either. Caught my attention, I'm curious to see if he does and how they turn out.

I don't see how RTV would be an issue though. There's no fuel contact.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
It's NEVER a good time to have your dually stop working on you. The plus side is that now maybe it's time for that turbo.

I've actually only seen one person (maybe two) make a trailer out of an old camper. I've seen many more use them for hunting blinds. I've thought about trying to turn an old camper into a toy hauler, but have never attempted it. The only thing that I've done with an old camper was that I used the top from an old pop up camper to make a small lean to on the side of my garage years ago. It worked great. I gave him $10 for it. Two of us carried it the half block to my garage, I sunk four treated posts into the ground, he a neighbor with a loader tractor lift it up and sit it on the posts, then I lag bolted it to the posts and the garage.
I have used my parents old trailer frame from a camper to haul a car. It did it, but was far less than optimal. The frames are not really strong enough, I folded the rear bumper getting it on and the Jetta only cleared the tire by about an inch on each side. If it was for dirtbikes and 4 wheelers I think it would work out pretty well. I would not recommend one to haul cars.

saying that, we still have it sitting in a garage with an old Fiat on it.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
sorry to hear that, was it the actual clutch or master/slave cylinder?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sorry to hear that, was it the actual clutch or master/slave cylinder?

No clue. Last I looked clutch had plenty of meat. Master/slave were replaced.... A year ago? Maybe two. It's slipping, not failing to release.

I'm leaning towards the DMF myself, but we'll see once I get in there.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Dang Master Frakker???

I think I've heard that mentioned a time or two in home garages...

Well, something like that.

Whatever they was talkin bout went right over my head. And they were too busy picking up the parts they had just thrown around, to explain to me what what kind of technical babble they was spewin...

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I have used my parents old trailer frame from a camper to haul a car. It did it, but was far less than optimal. The frames are not really strong enough, I folded the rear bumper getting it on and the Jetta only cleared the tire by about an inch on each side. If it was for dirtbikes and 4 wheelers I think it would work out pretty well. I would not recommend one to haul cars.
I have to completely agree with both points. They are not heavy enough for car hauling (not saying that you can't). Put some expanded metal down in place of the floor and they would be great for ATVs and/or dirt bikes. That's all I would use one for. Oh great! Now the wheels are turning again.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally got around to installing digital gauges from Auber Instrumennts. I put a dual display 1/16 DIN unit in the unused square next to the "Wait to start light" and a single display tucked into the ash tray area. The Auber 1/16 DIN gauge is a perfect fit in the dash and almost looks factory. I added the Auber coolant temp and oil pressure sensors to the EGT I already had. The coolant temp seems accurate as it reads about the same as the cheap mechanical I had, and the oil pressure at least reads within the acceptable range ~15psi@idle and ~36psi@2100rpm. For $8 I also added a small volt meter from Auber.

Overall I'm happy with the quality for the price. My main motivation for doing this was the fact that with the digital coolant gauge I could add my own idiot light/buzzer to alert me once coolant reaches a certain temp. A while back my lower rad hose clamp broke while climbing a grade and luckily I noticed the smell of coolant and saw my gauge creeping up to 235 before I toasted the engine. Hopefully my little idiot light will work should there be another coolant related mishap.