So what did you do with your truck today?

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most on this board will run them on redline all day. I recall a thread asking "how can I get more power pulling uphill" and everyone answered "downshift and redline".

In my opinion the engineers got paid a lot to set the redline at a safe RPM, and I trust em. If you raise your redline all bets are off
I’m pretty sure I read an article once talking about how the engineers would run them against the governor for hours upon hours in testing.

Dane Rickford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dane what were your RPMs and what size tires are you running? I think with stock size tires, mine will probably top out at 85-90 . Never have topped it out. My buddy told me once that if you can keep a diesel engine at 1500 - 1800 RPMs the theoretical life span of a diesel is around 1 million miles( if serviced regularly). He said never to lug it and not ride the governor for very long..... Hes an old gentleman who I trust to be truthful....... What you?
I have 35s and it was @ 26-2700 rpm in fifth. I’ve found that these v8 diesels enjoy being in the 1700-3200 rpm range better than the 14-1800 range like Cummins. The v8 platform makes them be able to wind out safely and with lots of power

ComatoseLlama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure I read an article once talking about how the engineers would run them against the governor for hours upon hours in testing.
Here's the article on the technical aspects of the development of the engine (bordering on unreadable Jargon at points) with that story

The 6.9L engine underwent extensive development and durability testing before the start of production. A total of 160 prototype and 10 pre-production engines were built for engineering tests. The test engines had accumulated a total of 52,000 laboratory durability test hours and 815,300 miles of field tests by the time Ford vehicle production began.
The laboratory tests included:* 21,000 hours at full load
* 16,500 hours at 72 percent load
* 4,500 hours of special durability tests
* 10,000 hours on pre-production engines
The 10 pre-production engines were built and tested on the dynamometer to verify the quality of the production process. Each engine was subjected to 1,000 hours (approximately 80,000 miles) at full load, with no problems occurring. In addition, pre-production engines were placed in customer fleet trucks and subjected to varied conditions, drivers, and use.

52,000 hours of beating on the engines! Thats 5.9 years. 2.4 years of testing at full load

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
I have 35s and it was @ 26-2700 rpm in fifth. I’ve found that these v8 diesels enjoy being in the 1700-3200 rpm range better than the 14-1800 range like Cummins. The v8 platform makes them be able to wind out safely and with lots of power
I completely agree. V8s in general are meant to run higher rpms than inline motors, so V8 diesels have a much wider torque and hp bands.

Rock

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the article on the technical aspects of the development of the engine (bordering on unreadable Jargon at points) with that story

52,000 hours of beating on the engines! Thats 5.9 years. 2.4 years of testing at full load

That’s crazy. Reminds me of my friends old car. He had a Lexus rx300. We called it the toenail. Don’t know why. Every single day it hit the rev limiter for at least 3 seconds. We did some calculations and found out that throughout that cars time with him it spend 45 minutes at 7000 rpm.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I keep mine at 1500 to 1800, and do so quite easily.

I do so, for fuel mileage.

It goes plenty fast enough. And it has plenty of power.

Even with the weight equivalent of my camry, setting in the bed of the truck.

rhythim

Reaction score
Realized last weekend when I was hauling 2000+lbs of mulch that the truck was *years* past needing new shocks all around. Replaced the who-knows-how-old completely worn out shocks with a new set of Rancho RS5000s. Also wired the Racor RK30880e WIF sensor into the factory idiot light. I'm a new set of front leaf springs away from having all the "little stuff" that needed fixing when I bought it all taken care of. Once I get the springs replaced that'll get it back up to stock ride height and give it more than an inch of suspension travel up front before it hits the bump stops.

As it is, it's ready to go pick up a yard of #57 limestone tomorrow morning.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front clip can come off ass soon as the coolant is done draining. Then the engine

You must be registered for see images attach

That's the spirit! :Thumbs Up

Don't forget to order your charge air cooling stuff, it's far easier to install right after the front clip is but back on and your tools are out anyway. :D ;Poke
I'd recommend 2.5 inch piping at least on the hot side. Way easier to fit than 3".

Last edited:

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the spirit! :Thumbs Up

Don't forget to order your charge air cooling stuff, it's far easier to install right after the front clip is but back on and your tools are out anyway. :D ;Poke
I'd recommend 2.5 inch piping at least on the hot side. Way easier to fit than 3".
I definitely need to intercool it. But with this body style there’s about 1 inch of room LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
93 Farm Truck