So what did you do with your truck today?

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Today I pulled the rear tank, FSV, and all the fuel lines. The pickup was in 10 pieces at the bottom of the tank. I couldn't believe how rusted all the bolts were.
You must be registered for see images attach

The bucket in the top of the picture is what came out of the rear tank, and the bottom one is from the front tank which was normal.

This is where I plan on installing a bracket to mount the E pump, water separator, and FSV. There will be a guard of some type for sure.

And I had some help!

I am going to order new sending units while I'm at it, and with all the new fuel line I am going to install, The fuel system should be well set.
Rock

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I didn't do a whole lot. I did a little grocery shopping. I dropped off my gas ans one electric bill. I did stop into Orscheln and picked up a turnbuckle so that I can use my timing meter. It also let me finally add my name to the timing registry.

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
I drained the oil and coolant in the F superduty this afternoon, and as soon as I pulled out the oil drain plug, probably a quart of straight water came out. The rest was grey sludge, and the cooling system was the same way. I am letting it sit and drain a few days. You can see the water and oil separating in the first picture.

I am hoping to get the oil cooler done by the end of the week, since once the parts come in I have to get the f250 back together and do the headgaskets on my sister's subaru, and I would like to get this straightened out before I have to let it sit awhile.

Rock

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I drained the oil and coolant in the F superduty this afternoon, and as soon as I pulled out the oil drain plug, probably a quart of straight water came out. The rest was grey sludge, and the cooling system was the same way. I am letting it sit and drain a few days. You can see the water and oil separating in the first picture.

I am hoping to get the oil cooler done by the end of the week, since once the parts come in I have to get the f250 back together and do the headgaskets on my sister's subaru, and I would like to get this straightened out before I have to let it sit awhile.

Rock

Is the cowl seal missing? If it's straight water I'm wondering if you're getting water in the intake?

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
Is the cowl seal missing? If it's straight water I'm wondering if you're getting water in the intake?
I believe it is missing but would have to check. I see what you're saying, but there is so much water in the oil, and so much oil in the coolant, that I can't see the cowl seal causing this. I was thinking, maybe this problem was going on for a while, and one of the PO's tried fixing it with no luck, and they filled up the radiator with straight water when testing the truck out? There is no antifreeze in the truck at all, just water.

Rock

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
I got the oil cooler of the F super duty. I was surprised how easy it was to unbolt the cooler, but getting it out wasn't fun at all for a few different reasons. Being that all of this is taking place in the middle of a field, I used a boom pole on a tractor. It worked fine, but the hydraulics started going crazy while I was lifting the motor. I had it up in the air, then it dropped while I was under there, and then raised again, and repeated. I had that tractor hooked up to a hydraulic blade that was very low on oil, so the tractor filled it up, but I forgot to top it off after disconnecting-OOPS! The cooler was wedged when the motor dropped, and chipped the end of the rear header, but it is after where the big o ring seals

what do you guys think?
Also, all the O rings looked great, but the gaskets are complete trash.

Rock

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
First off, the gaskets almost always rip when you take the oil cooler off. Second, you can't tell the condition of the o-rings just from looking at them. They could be brittle from age. There could also be a small tear in one that you can't see with the naked eye. As for the end cap, you'll be fine as long as you make sure that there's nothing that could catch a new o-ring when you're putting it back together.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My old idi has been sitting stationary since returning from the Maine hunting trip back in November. Finally unloaded the slide in camper last evening, now it needs a bath to wash the dust off. Threat of snow and salted roads is over, so I'll be putting some miles on her.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven’t had anything to do since some of my parts have gotten lost during shipping. Here’s the rig I’ve been driving while mine is down, I kinda like it.