So what did you do with your truck today?

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
proud of my little truck for lasting 4 months without sucking coolant. Here’s a side by side comparison of the CDD modded gaskets and stock fel pro gaskets for a 6.9.

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
So both head gaskets did this? Did it happen to do this on both of the lower, corner coolant ports (the big, odd shaped holes that are different than the ones on the CDD gaskets)? If yes, then I will also assume that you didn't install the included tabs that go into those holes in the gaskets. If you didn't then that was most likely your entire problem.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope the deck surfaces are ok. Usually you will see some erosion of the block or head surface. Depends on how long you drove it like that though (and luck). Sometimes a catastrophic head gasket failure is better.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So both head gaskets did this? Did it happen to do this on both of the lower, corner coolant ports (the big, odd shaped holes that are different than the ones on the CDD gaskets)? If yes, then I will also assume that you didn't install the included tabs that go into those holes in the gaskets. If you didn't then that was most likely your entire problem.

I definitely did not install those. That’s embarrassing. I feel like a moron.

Last edited:

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope the deck surfaces are ok. Usually you will see some erosion of the block or head surface. Depends on how long you drove it like that though (and luck). Sometimes a catastrophic head gasket failure is better.

Yeah they look great. The engine was machined about 2 years ago and everything is still fresh looking. I really lucked out. It never burned any coolant or anything either.

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I definitely did not install those. That’s embarrassing. I feel like a moron.
Well then there's your problem. Those are required for 6.9 head gaskets. They are metal that's wrapped in rubber (or something similar). Without those, you didn't have enough strength to hold back the compression. If they were to be examined closely, I'll bet that the fire rings are slightly distorted. Once the compression could get by them, then the gasket material didn't stand a chance of containing it. Just file this under "Lesson Learned".

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well then there's your problem. Those are required for 6.9 head gaskets. They are metal that's wrapped in rubber (or something similar). Without those, you didn't have enough strength to hold back the compression. If they were to be examined closely, I'll bet that the fire rings are slightly distorted. Once the compression could get by them, then the gasket material didn't stand a chance of containing it. Just file this under "Lesson Learned".
Good lord, it sure is a lesson learned. Sorry I gave you guys any hope that I was a good mechanic LOL.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
I had a little time this afternoon, so I got starting dropping the fuel tanks on my f250. I would of liked to pull the bed and access the tanks from above, but I just installed the utility cap, and didn't want to remove it again. I got the mid tank out, but it took like 3 hours because all most all the bolts were stripped out (including the skid plate. I had to use a sawzall to cut the front strap bolt. That tank was full, but it really wasn't all that bad once all the bolts were out. I am going to try and drop the rear tank later in the week.The sending unit looks to be newer.

Rock

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Good lord, it sure is a lesson learned. Sorry I gave you guys any hope that I was a good mechanic LOL.
The first time that I was attempting to put heads back on a 6.9, I was told that "those tabs have to go in the lower corners of the 6.9 head gaskets. DO NOT leave them out". You probably didn't have that advice. You probably didn't realize that they're required. You also may have not even noticed them. Don't beat yourself up too badly. Just learn from the mistake. Or else call it testing like Wes would.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first time that I was attempting to put heads back on a 6.9, I was told that "those tabs have to go in the lower corners of the 6.9 head gaskets. DO NOT leave them out". You probably didn't have that advice. You probably didn't realize that they're required. You also may have not even noticed them. Don't beat yourself up too badly. Just learn from the mistake. Or else call it testing like Wes would.

I appreciate it man. I’m actually surprised it lasted this long Without blowing out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7