So what did you do with your truck today?

Dane Rickford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You said you have a manual setup on the glowplugs.

Step on the gas pedal after you turn the ignition to the wait point. But take your foot off before you turn the key all the way to start.

Run your glowplugs longer. At least ten to twelve seconds.

And keep the button pushed in, while you start it. Let go, once it starts. Smooth the idle out with your foot.

No, this is not going to burn your glowplugs up, or blow the tips off of them.

You have a manual system. So you have already eliminated the vast majority of wasted lifetime.

Plus, the factory system keeps turning the plugs on and off for quite a while, after it is started.
Thank you for the advice! I’ll try that this afternoon and see if it helps

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Today I replaced the driver's side upper door hinge. The door closes way easier now and it even opens easier too. I decided to do this the smart way and used mu cherry picker to hold up the door. It's a good thing that I did because the adventure was just beginning at that point. I took the old hinge off and when I tried to bolt the new one back on, I couldn't find any threads to start the first bolt back into. The freaking adjuster plate the the hinge bolts to on the inside of the cab wasn't attached to anything and it slid down away from the holes. The easiest way to get it back in place was to just take the door all the way off. I still gave myself a refresher course in four letter words, but I managed to get it done. After that, I decided that the passenger's side could wait. I don't use that door very much anyway. There was no saving the old hinge. It had been drilled out and there was a 1/2" bolt shoved down through the bushing hole. There's a picture that shows the amount of wear on the bolt from being in the hinge for so long. I've had this truck for about 7 1/2 years and have been threatening to replace the hinges for at least 6 of those years. I'd finally had enough. I've probably only had the two hinges sitting around for about a year now.

You must be registered for see images attach

ABNORDY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6th Starter in 4 years!! Damn I hate that top bolt!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ABNORDY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked into that in the past, maybe its time!!

Dane Rickford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I got my starting problem figured out and fixed today. It makes me feel like a real moron though :joker: I was working on some battery connections, and went to fire it up to check things out, and there was a sudden smell of burning rubber and my starter seized. So it was my starter all along :frustrate I installed my spare and it fired right up no problem. I sure hope I don’t have to do it again soon though, that top bolt took me forever to get in. Good news is I trust my rig to not strand me in the middle of nowhere (since that’s where I liveLOL)

ABNORDY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What i did with my truck to make the top bolt easier was using a length of all thread to build a stud that the starter slides over then use a nut to tighten the starter.
I think I will do that! Great idea!

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This but actually get a stud the right length. All thread is pretty soft.
If you can't find a stud... Find a really good bolt that is long enough. It will have a shoulder at the top, then the head. Cut the head off, and thread the shoulder.

Even if you have to buy a tap to do this, it's worth it.

JBWeld, or threadlock it in there.

Then use a pinch nut. A nylock might melt from the heat.