So what did you do with your truck today?

Big Daddy John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad I'm not were you are, it's in the 50's here now and was in the 70's today I drove with the windows down to town and back, but . we are wet, got 4.5 inches of rain last night, glad the sun was out today so I could replace that Cable, but more rain is coming. If I get a chance tomorrow I'll work on back up lights,stay warm.
Gotta love the south this time of year!

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I picked up my truck from the shop... the throwout bearing in the new Luk clutch set was broken in shipping (probably the heavy parts moved around inside the cardboard when FedEx threw it around). I'll see if I can get a couple bucks refunded from Rock Auto since the shop had to buy a new bearing locally... not holding my breath though.

On the way back (dirt roads with ponding up to 6" deep thanks to the monsoon last night) the damned serpentine belt came off again!
:***:

It seems to hate getting wet. So I drove it the remaining 3 miles home anyway, watching the temp gauge and shutting it off on every downhill. It got to the top of the marked "Normal" range but not beyond and the Engine Temp light never came on. Just hope I didn't hurt the rebuilt heads or gaskets... The rain has stopped, so after cool-down I'll go put it back on. Assuming it's not chewed up this time. It never rains but it pours...
:frustrate

The truck shifts better than it ever did, though. New clutch feels great. The mech said the rear main wasn't leaking, but at 188k (allegedly) with everything off, it was a perfect time to put a new Viton seal on.

IDI_Journeyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Finally finished the 2G alternator swap on my 7.3 today! While installing the new one I found the problem the old system had, no power from the green and red wire from the ignition to the regulator... oh well, this system is much better anyways :cool

I took my truck up to a clients house where I had my cousin load two NA 7.3s in the back of my clapped out 7.3 with his dads case :Thumbs Up truck drove like a dream and didn’t even feel like I had anything in the back. going to take some good parts off the broken engine and swap them over to the replacement one!

Comptech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well.. I walked past mine in the garage..two new batteries,glow plugs,filter starter and a known good IP.Avoiding the aggravation of it not starting.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove the truck some more... was surprised by the SMF gear rattle after driving to town (15 min at highway speed)with the ZF5 at full operating temp. I usually don't hear it though, and the price for the 07225 SMF set was well worth it.

But on the way home I went through a deep puddle (splashed all the way up onto my windshield) and the serpentine belt promptly popped off again!
-cuss
Only a mile from home so I made it without overheating. I'm getting pretty good at putting it back on!

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well.. I walked past mine in the garage..two new batteries,glow plugs,filter starter and a known good IP.Avoiding the aggravation of it not starting.

after your cooling off period, get a brainstorming session going with these guys. I just had to give my own car a 2 day time out after doing the valley pan and now an oil leak GRRR

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well said @Danielle sometimes the best thing is just taking a breather I had a pump at work an had 3 1 1/2 inch studs giving me hell after breaking my 1 inch inpact gun trying to get them out I walked away for 3 days today I cut them out with a cutting torch and chistle and all is well in my area of the shop

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I tried and failed to get the old beast fired up. I let it sit for most of the month so the batteries were drained. I jumped it a few days ago and it came to life, but I didn't get the batteries charged so they died again. Jumped it today, it fired up, ran for ~5 seconds, then shut off. The fuel filter housing has been leaky for a year now, but this is the first time it's let air in the system. +1 item on the to-do list, it needs a new fuel filter anyways and I've been putting it off because I don't want to re-prime the system... ahh well.

I wish Towcat was still around so I could thank him, when he did my IP and injectors he installed some clear fuel line between the filter and IP. I was able to see immediately that there was air in the system, he saved me a bunch of time trying to figure out what the problem is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online