So what did you do with your truck today?

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I drove it to the sawmill and got the last of their cut blocks, also used the 4WD to plow through deep mud to the piles in the back and hand-loaded just over a ton of wood in various sizes. The loaders won't go back there right now because they may get stuck! No problem getting out ...
It didn't bat an eye with 2180 lb in the bed and didn't feel much slower with the extra weight either. Rides much better on our lousy dirt roads when fully loaded, too :)

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably two years ago I found a set of SilverStar Ultra bulbs on clearance at Walmart. I only put one in because the other one was glued in the housing for some reason...

Well the new SilverStar just blew out today so I put the old bulb back in. The one I didn't replace two years ago is still fine... Go figure!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Probably two years ago I found a set of SilverStar Ultra bulbs on clearance at Walmart. I only put one in because the other one was glued in the housing for some reason...

Well the new SilverStar just blew out today so I put the old bulb back in. The one I didn't replace two years ago is still fine... Go figure!
Yeah, those things don't last long. Lol I'd still like to give LEDs a shot. Or the ZXE.
Drove it around back and unloaded 2180 lbs of firewood down the cellar hatch :)
I see that going something like this.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I cheat and use a long 1x12 to slide the blocks down when I have a 2-2.5 ton load on the flatbed... I just tossed them today.

I've seen that treadmill video before. Really doesn't save that much since the hard part is picking up the pieces and bringing them close to the desired opening :D

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or the ZXE.

The what?

I've seen that treadmill video before. Really doesn't save that much since the hard part is picking up the pieces and bringing them close to the desired opening :D

You just need more treadmills then!

That would be pretty cool to see. Some dude with fifteen treadmills lined up to deliver his firewood lol!

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just drove it for errands... we had a couple inches of rain overnight and all the low-water crossings on the dirt roads are flowing vigorously. I eased through them because I did not feel like putting the serpentine belt back on while standing in several inches of mud!

The ZF5 gear rattle is quite pronounced at very low rpms especially in 1st and 2nd. That's the price of the simpler (and significantly less expensive) SMF clutch kit compared to the stock dual-mass.

Also I was going around a relatively modest curve at 30 mph with 1/3 left on the rear tank, and all the power disappeared. Flipped the selector to the full front tank and after a couple of seconds, it caught again and ran perfectly. This is really annoying since I put a new showerhead on this spring! Time to buy a sump kit (and make a hole in the support/skid plate to match).

Comptech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I secured a commercial garage to do my engine swap. It has a huge lift, and everything I need to get the job done.right now I am contemplating whether it would be easier to set the motor and tranny and transfer case in one-piece with the cab off.. or as the old Johnny Cash song says one piece at a time. I don't know what the hell is wrong with the motor that is in the truck,but I sure would like to roll it off in my ex-wife's front yard at about 3 in the morning.

Comptech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course.. minus a few select parts.. keep the IP and the glow plugs..

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s a beast of an assembly all together. Personally I’d either pull the whole front clip or at least the core support, engine in. Trans in. Then tcase. ZF you may need to pull the shift tower. It might go with it on but you will hate life. Trans crossmember pretty much has to come out too. Best thing I’ve found is to tip the engine back to mate it to the trans. If you have leaf springs in the front a 4x4 will support the flywheel so it will sit tight on the motor mounts to get the trans wrangled close to position. If you can use an overhead crane to adjust the engine tilt, it’s much easier.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This afternoon I spent a couple of hours fixing the bed rail cracks. A previous owner had bolted a heavy toolbox there as in the avatar, and there was about a 4" (and growing) stress crack with several branches on each side. Sanded the areas to bare metal, stop-drilled the end of each crack, hammer everything back into line, stitch-welded the cracks with my Hobart 140 -Flame Thr ground it all flat, applied Evercoat body filler, sanded smooth with 220 paper, hit it with spray-can primer, and finally spray-can white. Can't even see the repaired area now, except that it looks better than the rest of the beat-up farm truck bed does! :thumbsup:

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you can all relate. Sometimes I'm so exhausted from Parenthood and customer pay work and homeownership (new to me!) That my projects don't happen.

I had been about to begin when a labor trade project popped up and I've been involved in getting a bronco back together mechanically so it has been hogging up a spot in the garage.

Today got it (the other person's truck not mine) running and now it can be pulled in and out of the shop, giving me space to put my own project!

It feels good to finally have some forward movement I can see. And nice to hear an old bronco running smoothly after sitting here for months.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Comptech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member