So what did you do with your truck today?

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has a flatbed on it and with the goofy filler necks on these trucks there's no way it was going to fill with the cap clear on the side. We just drive it locally (welding shop service truck) so decided to just delete the tank. Cut a hole in the floor of the bed for the rear filler.
Never have had a problem with the less range, but if I'd do anything it'd be the 38 gallon tank swap.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My dad finally "let" me take his truck for the many repairs it needs. I saved a trip and used it to tow home another timing chain flip car.... I filled the gas tank... One of the repairs is diag sending unit!! Ughhhh

Also installing back up camera (2011 models only seem to have a unique issue and part number, of course), diagnosing rear window inop, oil change due 10k miles ago, might as well do trans service and plugs

But this gives me an opportunity to "pay him back" when I stick him with the bill hahahahahahaha mwuahahhaahaha (zero point zero)
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my '98 E38, but she's a high-maintenance girlfriend :p
Usually electrical, but at 177k miles and about 10k miles per year, I know the inevitable timing chain guide replacement is coming eventually. Then I have to decide whether to spend $700 on parts and a LOT of work taking the whole front of the engine off (22 book hours!) or sell it to you cheap :rolleyes:
Why did those idiots take a bulletproof idler gear design in the 4.0 and replace it with plastic rails in the 4.4... sigh.cookoo

On the subject of the truck, I did get the new Felpro rear main seal for the IDI in the mail today. The shop that's going to do the LuK 07225 SMF clutch kit (and rear main) can't get to it until the 26th, and I still have the flu and refuse to do it in the driveway!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the modular ford timing chain tensioner.

I tightened the hose clamp on the top radiator hose where it was leaking. It was not terribly tight. So I put the 1/4” ratchet on it.

I figured with all the rain the last couple days, any residual salt was washed away so me and the little one took the truck out for our last minute shopping. Luckily nobody had to die. Honestly it was scary how calm it was.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I did nothing with either of mine. I spent most of the day recovering from our work Christmas party. It's not how it sounds. I gave up drinking alcohol going on 4 1/2 years ago. With all of the soda that I drank, the caffeine didn't let me get much sleep. One guy did bring in some of his apple pie flavored moonshine that he makes. When I found out that it was there, I HAD to take a small sip. That stuff is so good and smooth, I knew that I couldn't let it completely slip by!;)

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have an e38 we are keeping. That chain job was the most relaxing job I've done in a long time. Which made me start buying them up cheap.
I love my '98 E38, but she's a high-maintenance girlfriend [emoji14]
Usually electrical, but at 177k miles and about 10k miles per year, I know the inevitable timing chain guide replacement is coming eventually. Then I have to decide whether to spend $700 on parts and a LOT of work taking the whole front of the engine off (22 book hours!) or sell it to you cheap :rolleyes:
Why did those idiots take a bulletproof idler gear design in the 4.0 and replace it with plastic rails in the 4.4... sigh.cookoo

On the subject of the truck, I did get the new Felpro rear main seal for the IDI in the mail today. The shop that's going to do the LuK 07225 SMF clutch kit (and rear main) can't get to it until the 26th, and I still have the flu and refuse to do it in the driveway!
Unfortunately, I did nothing with either of mine. I spent most of the day recovering from our work Christmas party. It's not how it sounds. I gave up drinking alcohol going on 4 1/2 years ago. With all of the soda that I drank, the caffeine didn't let me get much sleep. One guy did bring in some of his apple pie flavored moonshine that he makes. When I found out that it was there, I HAD to take a small sip. That stuff is so good and smooth, I knew that I couldn't let it completely slip by!;)
I've had to stop drinking due to migraines and while I never really drank much to begin with, these past few years I've felt left out when everyone around me gets silly and lets loose and I'm there with my water.

But no more hangovers so I guess there's that?

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I've had to stop drinking due to migraines and while I never really drank much to begin with, these past few years I've felt left out when everyone around me gets silly and lets loose and I'm there with my water.

But no more hangovers so I guess there's that?
Overall, I feel better too. That's the main thing for me.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been on the couch for seven straight days with the flu... finally feeling better and the sun was shining. So I fixed the driver's door lock system which I'd already done before (one of the plastic bushings that hold the lock motor in its bracket had cracked and fallen out, so the lock motor was loose inside the door). I'd repaired it with a Help! shifter bushing, the closest thing I could find.
Wasn't close enough because the motor got loose again. This time I soldered a heavy wire across the bracket on the rigged side so the bushing can't pop out again!
Then it took me a while to figure out how it went together again (can only see inside there with a mirror). Three possible pairs of mounting posts on the motor body... naturally I got it right only on the third try. I hate working inside doors:frustrate

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TL;DR @ the bottom

Today I loaded up my two sweet kiddos and hooked up my 4500lb trailer and took a torture test after installing a BHAF and a true 3"ID home-made(that makes it CUSTOM RIGHT?!?) intake hat. Also removed the hat to properly drill and tap the boost gauge line and put the CDR into the intake tube, also drilled and plugged in a filter minder next to it.

The picture is crap but here they are playing in the snow! The snow was a side benefit of my torture test-- 25 miles with an elevation gain of 2,500ft. I know that's not horrible by the Rockies standards but it's great for me.
The best part is that much of the climb is about 3 sections then a flat spot so you get a great feel for max EGT.
What I'm pumped up about is that even though my timing is good and I have a Charge Air Cooler, maxed out IP, and an unplugged wastegate, I HAD a little cone air filter that made all that pretty anemic. (Overheating, EGT 1200+, sucked the filter minder down halfway IN THE DRIVEWAY REVVING IT.)

With the BHAF I get higher boost, but much more importantly lower EGTs and lower coolant temps with the same amount of fuel.

Numbers!
Max boost= 14.5psi(previous 13)
Max EGT= 1050F(previous 1200+ and climbing)
Max coolant= 210F(previous 235+ and pull over or get WAY off the throttle, like hazard lights and 3rd gear)

TL;DR
Conclusion: I could stand on my throttle all day with this setup dragging 4500lbs up a steep-ass hill at 70mph without EGT worries or coolant temp problems. And yes there was a very steep part where I dropped to 63mph but still WOT and pulling great like a real diesel. LOVE IT!!!

Funny details: I never pulled over to lock my hubs due to snow...until I HAD to. Whoops. With two children in the pickup I stopped on a very mild uphill freeway exit and couldnt get started again...for about 15 mins. It literally took me that long to find the right low gear/traction/timing of cars passing me to get started up the hill.
But dont judge me-- the snow in Western WA makes experienced/skilled East Coast drivers get towed out of ditches all the time. Our ground temp is 33* but air temp will be 25* so the snow sticks but its literally an ice rink for your tires.

Anyway fun times, super happy Joshua, super happy kiddos(till we had to leave), and excellent data. Sweet!

My sweet kiddos, Daniel and Elena(They are saying "cheeeeeeeeeeeese"):

RDieselKid84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well after reading all the info on accelerator cables breaking and mind hanging up l started looking for a replacement and all the info ya'll were saying I went to the Ford dealership and ordered a Ford part#E9TZ-9A758-U. I could have bought three from NAPA but after thirty two years I went with the OEM and I'M glad I did, it fills like a new truck and it shifts so much faster. For some reason it fills like it has more get up and go. Checked all the GP's wile I was there and all checked ok with the ohm meter. Lots to catch up with after all these years like paint job, new shocks Bilsteins, install my ast 088 turbo and what ever else cab lights and all my little lights to LED's it is a on going prodject,thanks for all the help. Rodney

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
For some reason it fills like it has more get up and go.
It may have a little bit more. If the old one was stretched, it may not have been opening the throttle all the way. It would also be opening the throttle slightly faster too.
Not my truck. I just got back from helping a friend work on his 1994 PSD. He's been plugging it in to help start. The engine heater cord was zip tied next to the radiator. He said that for some reason, he couldn't get his hood closed all of the way this morning and it wouldn't open again. It was inside another friend's shop with a jet heater going so I agreed to take a look. Somehow, he had leaned against the hood catch, closing it. He closed the hood hard enough that the safety latch caught and held. Since he has one of those awful grille guards on it, we had to remove the plastic trim piece in the middle of the bumper in order to reach the latch bolts. Once we got those loose, the hood raised enough to pull the release cable. After adjusting the latch and putting the piece back into the bumper, he was ready to go again. I never would have volunteered to look at it if not for the jet heater. It was 15 degrees a couple of hours ago when I left the house and 11 on the way back. I also cut his engine heater cord loose and we ran it back through the grille like it's supposed to be.

RDieselKid84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad I'm not were you are, it's in the 50's here now and was in the 70's today I drove with the windows down to town and back, but . we are wet, got 4.5 inches of rain last night, glad the sun was out today so I could replace that Cable, but more rain is coming. If I get a chance tomorrow I'll work on back up lights,stay warm.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Believe me, I HATE the cold. The only thing that's keeping me from moving south and becoming Thewespaul's next door neighbor is the fact that I hate the high humidity even more. It's not too bad here (inside my house:Thumbs Up).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online