So what did you do with your truck today?

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The entire time you read the following you will probably have the urge to bonk me on the head and ask what the heck was I thinking. I'll respond by saying LESSON LEARNED!

Part of my income is flipping low cost cars. Many of my cars come free and I come and take them, repair them, get them inspected, and mostly clean them, and make sure they are safe and in good repair enough I would put my own kids in.
I love it. I love bringing new life into cars and also there are no customers so no deadlines haha. And almost all of them become good customers.

Anyway an acquaintance called and said a family member passed away and the family would like to give me the deceased's vehicle for free, it needed a started and a cat, possibly tires and battery..... Aaaaand it was in the city.

The story should have ended here. Drive my cc long bed and car hauler trailer into NYC? Of course not!

So everything that could go wrong did. And it cost me about a thousand dollars in fuel, tolls, scratching a car (thank god for insurance) a possible ticket (will have to fight it), and the car I was picking up had the intake removed and everything exposed to elements for years so I got all the way there and said no way. 8 hour nightmare and not over.

And my beautiful new front end has something wrong now. Those insane crap roads! Steering wheel off again and wandering.

I'm so ashamed that I did this

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
The entire time you read the following you will probably have the urge to bonk me on the head and ask what the heck was I thinking. I'll respond by saying LESSON LEARNED!

Part of my income is flipping low cost cars. Many of my cars come free and I come and take them, repair them, get them inspected, and mostly clean them, and make sure they are safe and in good repair enough I would put my own kids in.
I love it. I love bringing new life into cars and also there are no customers so no deadlines haha. And almost all of them become good customers.

Anyway an acquaintance called and said a family member passed away and the family would like to give me the deceased's vehicle for free, it needed a started and a cat, possibly tires and battery..... Aaaaand it was in the city.

The story should have ended here. Drive my cc long bed and car hauler trailer into NYC? Of course not!

So everything that could go wrong did. And it cost me about a thousand dollars in fuel, tolls, scratching a car (thank god for insurance) a possible ticket (will have to fight it), and the car I was picking up had the intake removed and everything exposed to elements for years so I got all the way there and said no way. 8 hour nightmare and not over.

And my beautiful new front end has something wrong now. Those insane crap roads! Steering wheel off again and wandering.

I'm so ashamed that I did this

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Why didn't you still take the car?
If nothing else, you could have scrapped it or parted it out to offset a part of your costs going there. :dunno

pafixitman

Reaction score
Why didn't you still take the car?
If nothing else, you could have scrapped it or parted it out to offset a part of your costs going there. :dunno

Agreed. At that point I would want it for target practice ... umm I mean stress relief.

We all have those days. Sometimes I have more than 30 of em in a month! Hind sight is 20/20

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I installed a Red Head steering gear box... Big difference. Drives like a dream now...
They seem to be a little hit and miss. If you get a good one, they seem to be pretty good. I think some of the guys here (myself included) didn’t get a good one on the first try.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They seem to be a little hit and miss. If you get a good one, they seem to be pretty good. I think some of the guys here (myself included) didn’t get a good one on the first try.
I cant say anything for the others, but I have had one for 6-8 years and it took me a LOOONG time to realize all the little areas of play in my D50 steering setup. Finally in just the last year or two I have it buttoned up really nice and it turns out the Red Head box was never the culprit. (I thought it was since I didnt have life changing steering response as some suggested)
Eventually I got under the pickup and turned the input shaft and felt with my other hand the output shaft = zero play or null zone. So I just kept hunting and after tie rods/ends, I installed a new tilt steering wheel(helped a bunch) and figured out the slip shaft on the steering shaft itself was the biggest problem! Once that was tight I've had no complaints at all.
For those hoping to learn about steering play, the rag joint can also be a problem, but for me its tight.
There's nothing like a vehicle that goes where you tell it to!

WAID

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fixed the stripped PS adjustment bolt, resealed the cowl, installed a headlight relay harness, replaced a bunch of broken hood insulation retainers. Still need to replace the valve cover gaskets and do to some front end work.

Broken_Season

Reaction score
Installed new carpet, front and rear seat covers, Installed CB Radio, new tires, Thanks to Towcat for recommending ironman All country CHT Tires, They are great tires!
You must be registered for see images attach

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@sailingjacobe Does that saddle blanket cover actually fit right? It looks good, I got a cheapie that doesn't fit really at all. Where did you get yours?