So i picked up an 87 idi as a working project.....now what.

twitch9949

Reaction score
I now own an 87 idi single cab 4x4, milage unknown.., lifted 4'', 3'' straight pipe, soup bowl removed, zf 5 speed that chatters like a mf. I have put about 3k on the truck over the past two months with no issues, but before i go putting money under the hood and fixing rust i would like to know if my new truck is worth the trouble.. I have had many diesels in the past but this will me the first "budget build" that i plan on doing much wrenching on myself (looking to save money) so its tuff to get started. does any one know of a shop in eastern PA ( or driving distance from easton) that is good with idi's? i ordered arp head studs from conestoga diesel, and was looking to start making the truck bulletproof. i am a little worried diving into the project myself. With little experience i dont want to turn a running 6.9 into trash. I am just hunting for good info and good mechanics.. any help would be great! thanks!

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Start with the tech articles top of the page in the forum. That is where I started. Lots of good info there.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Put your trucks info in your signature for future reference.

Coming to this forum is a very good start. These IDI engines are very simple to work with. You are probably going to find most shops don't want to deal with these trucks, no one seems to to know how to work on them these days.

These engines are already rather bullet proof under most circumstances (why do I get the feeling you had a 6.0 at one point in the past?) but they do have some quirks. It all depends on what you plan on doing with the truck. Just remember that these engines are workhorses, not necessarily powerhouses.

My suggestion for you is research, research research. Ask a million questions, then go atter!

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any idi owner in the state of Pennsylvania should have no problem finding a great mechanic for their truck. can you say Conestoga diesel??? LOL

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Conestoga also has a shop. The owner, Mel (agnem) not only builds pumps, but does work on the trucks in his shop. Not sure what all he will do, but I would contact him if I were in PA. I am actually planning on shipping my VW Bosch VE pump to him this spring. There not really many good mechanical injection shops left. Mel is not the cheapest out there, but, when you get a pump from him, it WILL WORK VERY WELL! They are rebuilt right, and will give you a long service life. For me it is worth the time and extra expense to send it to PA from IN.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i started my 87 F350 with a engine swap, my 6.9 had low oil pressure, and needed a new engine.
i was lucky enough to find a 94 7.3 with a 093 ATS kit on it.
then i found a ZF5, and many many other parts, i got it to drive like a bat outta hell, and then decided it needed more.
so i added another set of doors and made a custom hood.
WELL WORTH IT IN MY OPINION!!!

twitch9949

Reaction score
thanks guys! i did talk to Mel when i ordered my head studs, and he was very helpful. ill be getting all of my performance parts from him thats for sure. ill have to call up and see what type of service work they do. the shop is about two hours south of me. thats not far to travel for a lot of bug ticket items, but its not around the corner if the truck is making a funny noise. i had my truck at a shop by me when i bought it (getting a motor mount) and i had asked them to look the truck over and check the compression, things of that nature. when they were done with the mount they looked no further and had no information to give me. looks like ill be buying a compression tester. would sending my oil out for testing be a good call? i hear they can detect amounts of metal and other things in the oil that can help determine internal wear.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when i first get a vehicle and do all of the preventive stuff, i throw a magnetic drain plug in, you can check internal wear by yourself!

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
surprised he didn't send you towards me... once I get settled into the new place I will be taking on side work from home. Easton is only half hr 45 mins from me. will gladly help.

twitch9949

Reaction score
surprised he didn't send you towards me... once I get settled into the new place I will be taking on side work from home. Easton is only half hr 45 mins from me. will gladly help.

thanks!! thats just what i am looking for.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70