Side step

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am really frusteated here, but I am going to try to keep that out of this post.

Mostly because I am as much to blame as anyone. LOL

A few months ago, I ordered some side steps off of amazon.

I ordered the correct ones. But what they sent me were for 97 and up.

I set them aside without checking them, because it was COLD, muddy, and constantly raining. And I don't have a garage, or even a covered area to work in. (Hence, I am partly to blame, for not checking them. It never occurred to me that they might send the wrong ones. After all, I DID order the right ones, and was very careful about it.)

I bought them intending to install them when the weather got better.

Ok, so better weather is here.

I get them out. Start to read the instructions, and see they show several different profiles under the trucks. They have included hardware for each of those profiles.

First thing to do is to check under my truck... So under I go.

Here is a pic of what I found.

You must be registered for see images attach

To the left, (with the red and green lines), is what my truck looks like. To the right is the profiles they have included hardware for. As you can see, mine is nothing like what they show there.

Below that, is what the step ends up being, if I try to mount it on that surface where I made the red line. The step is smack dab up against the body of the truck, and only SOME of it protrudes out from under the truck. Even if I accepted it being right up against the body of the truck, there isn't enough sticking out, to step on.

The green line is the only other surface on that plane, and it isn't even half as tall as it needs to be, to mount the step. The step is obviously meant to be mounted on a surface back at the point the red line is at.

But also obviously cannot be mounted there.

Yeah, this frustrates me.

Mostly because these are meant to be mounted exactly the same as the running boards I have.

If I have to completely fabricate a mount, to get these mounted onto my truck, then I might as well have done so, for the running boards, and not have spent the 90 bucks on these frikken steps!

This is what I ordered...

This is what I got

Now I have to figure out how to insert item B into the place where item A was supposed to go...

Too late to return what I have, and the box has taken a beating since I got it, as well.

Maybe some thick walled square tubing.

Looks like it would need to be 3-1/2" by 5". Or a thick piece of angle iron about that size. Maybe 14" long. (Times two.) Plus a couple pieces of steel bar. Maybe 14" by 1-1/2" by 3/16" or so.

Oh well, I guess this project now gets put off again. Meantime I about break my fat neck every time I try to climb inside...

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gahhhh I know that feeling, that sucks.

Have you tried contacting them just in case?

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. I haven't.

It has been months. The box is beat up pretty badly. And now I have scratched one step up a bunch, trying to figure out how to get them mounted.

I am either going to get these to work, or get someone to trade these for some that will work. Or just take a loss on them.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bummer. I assume the red is more inboard, and the green more outward to the edge of the truck? My first thought seeing that was a piece of angle iron to basically make the green line extend farther down, then you could attach the angle iron up through the floor/rocker.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Correct.

And at this point, that is the plan.

I just hope whichever way I decide to do it, it doesn't end up too far inboard, or too far outboard.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
These appear to be aluminum. Could you have somebody cut the mounting points off and weld them back on to be more like the ones that you ordered (instead of what you received)? The you could drill a second mounting hole in each one so that they mount with four bolts on each side (again like the ones that you ordered).

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No idea how much that would cost. Probably too much right now.

Also... Shelter In Place, is still in effect.

But, yeah, one of the first things I considered.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going to be rainy for a while, anyway.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So do construction workers here. (That was my career.) :D

But I am old and retireded. I don't have to crawl around in the mud and rain... So I don't. :D