Severe duty fan clutch

Socal88

Reaction score
Anyone ever installed or use a severe duty fan clutch, does it really make that big of a difference or work better? And was there a different fan for this application. I've read up on the 6.0 fan mod for the Powerstroke, but that's the wrong rotation for the IDI. Would like to more CFMs across the radiator.
Any opinions?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The original 23 inch diameter fan moves plenty of air, if you can buy a clutch that works. I haven't seen anyone on here mention any clutch for these trucks that works like they think it should, severe duty or not. If you come up with a solution everyone will be wanting to know about it. I locked mine fan on and it works now.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The original 23 inch diameter fan moves plenty of air, if you can buy a clutch that works. I haven't seen anyone on here mention any clutch for these trucks that works like they think it should, severe duty or not. If you come up with a solution everyone will be wanting to know about it. I locked mine fan on and it works now.

I did, use a 6.4L cutch and control it how you like it, does require a threaded bushing to be made to run it though.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did, use a 6.4L cutch and control it how you like it, does require a threaded bushing to be made to run it though.

If you got a bunch of those adapters made, that might be a viable swap. I would not do the complicated control for it though. A simple on-off or maybe a two step control.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you got a bunch of those adapters made, that might be a viable swap. I would not do the complicated control for it though. A simple on-off or maybe a two step control.

The bushing is the hard part of the swap and anyone with a decent lathe could make them, all I have is the little 7x12 Chinese lathe and I don’t think I could make them on there. The control part is cheap and easy even going beyond just a switch, an Arduino, sensor and a few other parts and you have a fully functional fan controller or a $2 switch works also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online