Serpentine belt IDI mystery noises

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the noise is there when the belt is off then I would quit looking at the accessories. Is this a manual? Maybe throw out bearing is dry? Normally you would feel and hear that by depressing the clutch but if something is out of adjustment..? Obviously if this is the E4OD then not applicable.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
No it doesn't make noise with the belt off. You can hear it off idle and while reving like normal with belt on. When you drive past a wall you can hear it. Almost like white noise but really loud.

If the noise is there when the belt is off then I would quit looking at the accessories. Is this a manual? Maybe throw out bearing is dry? Normally you would feel and hear that by depressing the clutch but if something is out of adjustment..? Obviously if this is the E4OD then not applicable.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know these tensioned are a little suspect. I have been rebuilding the cooling system on mine. I had a belt streak when the engine was cold that went away eventually after warmup. I found my tensioner was moving back and forth, but wasn't putting very much tension on the belt. I thoroughly cleaned and lubed the spring area in the tensioner and there is more pressure on the belt now. I haven't been able to start mine as yet to see if the squeal went away or not. Might be something to check.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I have to agree there it may be in the tensioner. Dad had a 94 E-150 with a 302. Any time it was cold out there was a squeak from the accessories. Now, it did have 275,000 miles on it, but the only thing it that would fix it was hose down the belt and tensioner while the engine was running with WD-40/Liquid Wrench/PB and it would quit for a while. He had the belt and the tensioner replaced more than once and it would always come back. Normally it would do it start again each fall when the ambient temperature would cool down. He just got to the point he would carry a can of spray with him, and stop and spray it when it started making noise. It would stop for a few days. My guess is a bearing one of the tensioners was dry and would squeak when the lube in it got "firm" due to cold temps. Hope this gives you some help.

mobilemech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a noise and condition like this recently on a customers truck and it turned out to be the wrong belt, looking at the picture of the tensioner it looks like there isnt much tension on the belt, check to make sure you have the right belt, they are really tight to get on, so much so that people think its the wrong belt and get a longer belt
No it doesn't make noise with the belt off. You can hear it off idle and while reving like normal with belt on. When you drive past a wall you can hear it. Almost like white noise but really loud.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help so far. I do notice the belt has plenty of room to slip on. Also the tensioner seems a little weak since I can push on the belt between the ALT and vacuum pump and get the tensioner to move.
I do notice an occasional belt squeal from the PS pump at low rpm when cranking on the steering.

The cheapest gates tensioner on amazon.com is 60ish bucks. I really would order one and a belt from rockauto but I dont want to deal with returning the wrong part.

The belt is in great shape so id hate to scrap it for nothing. Ill try the tensioner first

I had a noise and condition like this recently on a customers truck and it turned out to be the wrong belt, looking at the picture of the tensioner it looks like there isnt much tension on the belt, check to make sure you have the right belt, they are really tight to get on, so much so that people think its the wrong belt and get a longer belt

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kind of a long shot, but check the front cover in the area of the timing probe holders. I've seen them slightly rusted to the point where they are spinning and vibrating in there. Could make a noise. :dunno:

BDOGONE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this will help.

I put a idler pulley (plastic got melted by a bad bearing) and a belt on during a trip last summer. I replaced the plastic with a steel one. (Since I was traveling I bought the two possible sizes). The steel replacement was slightly larger diameter and caused the belt to be a super tight squeeze! I ended up with what I would describe as a hollow moaning. Once home I planned on replacing the tensioner pulley, but it wasn't designed to be replaced, (looked like it was bolted on but it was pressed in) so I got a new tensioner and the correct dia. idler in steel, the belt was 115 1/2" if I remember correctly, and all was well again.

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You can go online to advanced auto (find a coupon code elsewhere) have it set for in store pickup. Usually takes about 15 minutes to go through.
I used a 20% code.

Other stores should do it also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Ok so I fixed it! I just put big loud tires on so I dont hear it anymore :)

You must be registered for see images attach

Hahaha jk. Its still there.. not as bad because I changed the belt. The new 111inch was very hard to get on. I notice the noise goes away if I give it full throttle.

I think the belt tensioner is the issue. It was almost maxed out before. Now you can see its almost maxed out the other way

helidiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about your fan clutch? Does the fan roar on the first of the day? When check pulleys and bearings this is with belt off? And last but not least. I have seen a few belts put on in ways they were not meant to go and everything still work. Double check the belt install with the picture in hand is how I have to do it!!

agp23109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a similar noise that just started. I think I've narrowed it down to my vacuum pump. I've yet to replace it, but you might want to check yours.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Fan clutch is newer and locks up cold and hot. Theres only one way you can route the belt and I have the diagram

What about your fan clutch? Does the fan roar on the first of the day? When check pulleys and bearings this is with belt off? And last but not least. I have seen a few belts put on in ways they were not meant to go and everything still work. Double check the belt install with the picture in hand is how I have to do it!!

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
I took the big tires off and drove through SF today and was staying close to the sound walls. The noise if definitely still there. At its loudest with very light pedal to hold cruising speed. Drop the pedal or let off and it goes away.

Yeah its either the vacuum pump or the tensioner itself... I hope! The gatorback belt JUST fit with stretching it over the AC pulley

I have a similar noise that just started. I think I've narrowed it down to my vacuum pump. I've yet to replace it, but you might want to check yours.

helidiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. So one last idea for you. Draw a line on your harmonic balancer and run the motor. Just check to make sure the rubber is not shot and the outer ring is not slipping. Just an idea before you start buying parts. Good luck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online