Serpentine belt IDI mystery noises

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
my truck.. 91 with 93 7.3L N/A Pick n Pull engine.

since ive owned it (08/13) the truck has made this... "dry bearing-ish" sound that comes around 13-1500rpms and doesnt get extremely loud but you can hear it over the N/A 7.3L

in my head it seemed like a A/C pulley... or Alternator.. well a few weeks ago i replaced the belt tensioner pulley and the idler pulley. Maybe the noise got a little quieter?

so i just replaced my Alternator with a local rebuilt from my electrical guy. also replaced old disconnected AC pump with a AC delete pulley.

NOISE IS STILL THERE! and a few months ago when i did the zf5 and hydroboost swap i put a new PS pump on. my VAC pump spins with no noise. water pump tight..

once again the noise is not there at idle but around 12,13,14,1500rpm you begin to hear it all the way up. also has a "white noise" feel to it too.

maybe the tensioner itself? its not new but seems to work fine. i can see it move a tiny bit when idling but it seems thats normal

You must be registered for see images

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well first off I'd say thats the wrong tensioner because the belt is riding way back on it. Also I have not see a smooth tensioner pulley like that on an idi. If your ac, power steering and vacuum pump aluminum mount has the extra holes drilled and tapped into it I sure would be running the tensioner with the shock absorber on it. You might want to look at the exhaust system mounting or rubbing areas. That could be the noise at an rpm range too.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Well the tensioner has been on there since day one of my ownership. The pulley is a steel replacement that is brand new.

Exhaust has been changed. You can hear it on a soundwall on the freeway or even in town against a building

I will try to get a driving video

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
so i had a plastic style pulley on there and it lines up and bolts up the same as the steel one so i hardly thing the pulley is a problem. i agree the tensioner itself may be making weird noises... shaking the spring around? its a little squeeky when i remove the belt.

this is the style i have

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow.. That sure looks better after you ran the engine. I had no idea you just installed the belt and it was not run in. Sure revs up smartly when you are not driving and pumps. I really did not hear the noise. sorry. I did notice you have the possibility to run the tensioner with the shock absorber on it. I saw the holes in top of the aluminum mount.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
I think the only step now is to replace the tensioner.. which sucks cause I spent $20 on the pulley.. atleast I can upgrade to the steel one if the new tensioner has a plastic one.

Yeah the truck has no issues in how it runs. Just that noise. The only way to really tell theres a noise at all is hearing the engine sit at a high rev in the NO BELT video. Its a very clear clean properly timed 7.3l

In the BELT ON video when I hold the high revs you can hear something but it doesnt sound the way it sounds here. I tried to drive home with my phone strapped by the heater box. Couldnt hear anything right.

Wow.. That sure looks better after you ran the engine. I had no idea you just installed the belt and it was not run in. Sure revs up smartly when you are not driving and pumps. I really did not hear the noise. sorry. I did notice you have the possibility to run the tensioner with the shock absorber on it. I saw the holes in top of the aluminum mount.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Lol maybe a courtesy spit.

ANYWAYS.. Lol water pump is tight but it sounds wierd whatever it is. Tensioners are too expensive now that I blew $100 on the alternator and $40 on the AC delete

Well theres the problem.. Needs a little KY to ease the run in...:eek::rotflmao