Serpentine belt IDI mystery noises

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
So im drawing a line across the front of the damper?

Ok. So one last idea for you. Draw a line on your harmonic balancer and run the motor. Just check to make sure the rubber is not shot and the outer ring is not slipping. Just an idea before you start buying parts. Good luck

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Ok so I changed the vacuum pump with a used unit I had.. same exact noise. So unless this other vacuum pump is the same or worse I think its the tensioner itself.

Question: is the enclosed spring tensioner superior to the open spring design? I ask because I have another serpentine belt Drivers side accessory mount that uses the open spring style

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Why not use the tensioner with the shock absorber on it. I noticed in one of your pics the aluminum mount that the vacuum pump bolts to has the 2 extra drilled holes in that mount piece ...

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Why not use the tensioner with the shock absorber on it. I noticed in one of your pics the aluminum mount that the vacuum pump bolts to has the 2 extra drilled holes in that mount piece ...

well you SOB i was just to make a rant about how expensive that motorcraft bt-33 unit is.. and i saw one on ebay for 65 bucks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/321368665011?lpid=82

motorcraft seems to be the only one who makes it. i looked it up on rockauto.com as a 94 IDIT truck

the pic you showed me does not have the steel bracket at the end of the damper

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, the one with the external damper is the later/better design?

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
is this a shock damper or is it pressurized to provide more force? i will be swapping my new steel pulley for the plastic one it comes with

FYI i bought one. $65 seems like a screaming deal since all the decent new ones are $60-80ish. the cheapest BT33 was $112 on rockauto

Yes... The dampner is the better tensioner.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Ok so I bought and installed the new belt tensioner with shock... the shock was made in Germany :-D and the tensioner in Canada..

Bad news is no change...*** im kinda stumped..

Only other thing to buy new is a vacuum pump..

I dont want to throw $80 just have the same issue..

I even bent the timing tab out a little to see if it was hitting. No change

So anymore input?

You must be registered for see images attach

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
make sure first the vacuum oump has oil in it..STP oil treatment as I recall.

Second, is that an AC delete idle pulley...could it be squeeli g a bearing...

how bout brushes in alt or bearings..

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Speak more of putting oil in vacuum pump.

Ok..... the ac delete is brand new and has not changed the noise... my alternator is a new rebuilt unit from my "electric guy". I have a new idler pulley. A 6month old PS pump. A very tight water pump.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help so far. I do notice the belt has plenty of room to slip on. Also the tensioner seems a little weak since I can push on the belt between the ALT and vacuum pump and get the tensioner to move.
I do notice an occasional belt squeal from the PS pump at low rpm when cranking on the steering.

The cheapest gates tensioner on amazon.com is 60ish bucks. I really would order one and a belt from rockauto but I dont want to deal with returning the wrong part.

The belt is in great shape so id hate to scrap it for nothing. Ill try the tensioner first

ummmmm.... you've pretty much checked everything else........

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
New gatorback belt in 110" instead of a old loose 111" gates belt.

Brand new tensioner today. Its much harder to push down and I have no more low speed belt squealing but thats not the noise im hearing.

Anything above 12-1300rpms crusing I can hear it. Sometimes as low as 1000 when at speed.

its a weird bearing noise mixed with "white noise" not very loud but not quiet.

ummmmm.... you've pretty much checked everything else........

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Yes it does it when sitting with no load but if your under the hood the engine noise drowns it out..

I will try to record it but it will be hard. Ive already tried twice with no success.