Serpentine belt IDI mystery noises

helidiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I put some extra thought into this after watching the video and rereading the post. And here is what I came up with.

1. As I read everything within the pulley system has been confirmed good. So what else is rotating? Injection pump? Input shaft? I'm sure there is more....

2. Fuel pump is cam driven. So that is moving parts

3. While running at the rpm that makes the nose work the system. Turn on all power related items to make the alt work harder. Turn the steering wheel to work the belt driven pump, AC on if you had it.
Maybe help the culprit show it's face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
So I think its actually my flywheel. I ended up taking the whole belt off and drove it.. its there.. it may be the DMF springs shaking around

it did get slightly louder after removing inspection cover

Ok so I put some extra thought into this after watching the video and rereading the post. And here is what I came up with.

1. As I read everything within the pulley system has been confirmed good. So what else is rotating? Injection pump? Input shaft? I'm sure there is more....

2. Fuel pump is cam driven. So that is moving parts

3. While running at the rpm that makes the nose work the system. Turn on all power related items to make the alt work harder. Turn the steering wheel to work the belt driven pump, AC on if you had it.
Maybe help the culprit show it's face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I believe someone posted about that in the beginning of this issue... It was not me. I'm still watching for what this noise is..

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
I didnt think it was the flywheel because the noise wasnt there when cold for a while. Now its there cold or hot.

when I first took my belt off and drove it the truck was ice cold... so I wouldn't burn myself taking the belt off.

A few days ago I took off the belt again and the noise stayed. It was warmed up at this point.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Someone asked if it made noise with the pedal in or out.

I can hear it slighty more now with the cover off. Now that I think of it the flywheel or clutch springs could be making the noise

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Well its a dual mass flywheel... the throwout is only a few months old and the noise never changes with pedal in and out

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
At this point I'm going with the dual mass flywheel. Its a known issue but when they work.. They work well.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Yeah im thinking so too. I may rub a little grease on the flywheel crank side DMF springs. If it goes away at all ill know for sure. It was a used flywheel with max allowed freeplay before I installed it in October

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Ok update... I installed a new SMF kit with no change to the noise. After a few months now i think it may be a tiny bit louder.. or its just getting to me. Once again i thought it was up front and after removing my serpentine belt i still had the noise. Pried back timing marker on crank pulley. New tight exhaust. Thinking maybe it's something in the starter but it works fine. Around 12-1300rpm it gets louder. When a car passes youon the freeway you can hhear it bounce off the car. Also sound walls make it very loud.

Sounds like a bad idler pulley bearing. I'm pretty stumped