S1600 Rebuild

SyicoIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The plug ended up being a 1 3/8" which the guys who did the rebuild where more than happy to give me one no charge. Lost my valley pan bar too so I made up a Ghetto one. But since we didn't have any power today from 10am-8pm. not much else got done.
You must be registered for see images attach

SyicoIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got Ip timed in today and mounted and painted water pump.

Attachments

• 20130201_183605.jpg
    20130201_183605.jpg
    620.5 KB · Views: 65

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Looks good, can't wait to see the whole truck. I have a C70 Chevy that I'm itching to replace with an International. My dilemma is what engine to choose, 466,360 or 7.3.:confused: I can't wait to hear how you like the IDI in your medium duty rig.;Sweet

PM me if you wish, I have a spare valley pan hold down piece if you're interested.

SyicoIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks goose. I actually found my valley pan strap but honestly its buried under the ip and intake and im not itching to take those off. Ill replace if I have a problem with my improvised one. Here is a visual update.

Last edited:

SyicoIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah baby. It fit like a glove going to start hooking it all up after I hit the gym tomorrow. I forgot to put in the oil pan dipstick tube I hope I can still get to it. Any special procedures when putting that in or do we just tap it in and call it a day? I cant wait to get her going too. I loved this truck before she blew. Even after a bent rod and leaking head gaskets the baby still ran. I would go after a dt 466 I think the 360 is going to be too small for that c70 and you know you can make plenty of power with a 466.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The DT466 (and the DT360 for that matter) are some of my favorite diesel bar-none! Great power potential from either, but the the bigger 466 certainly has more.

It's interesting to see the differences in manifolds between the Ford and IH medium duty IDI's (exhaust and coolant), plus, the front oil sump is cool.

The dipstick on the IDI's may be different, but on the Ford version...... the dipstick is on the passenger's side. It sits between exhaust ports, behind the exhaust manifold. Put a new o-ring on it and slide it into the block. It can be a real PITA to do as with a new o-ring, it's a real tight fit and not much wiggle room with the tube between the ports on the exhaust manifold.

Heath

SyicoIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget about the DT 408 I believe it is the same block at the dt466 just smaller coffee cans. Any way I think i screwed up by putting the IP on before installing the lines. Tightening the bottom two lines on the back of the IP look like a real PITA. Can it even be done or do I have to pull the pump?

SyicoIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am assuming I need to start with he bottom two...

BTW goose check out that dt 408

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I am assuming I need to start with he bottom two...

BTW goose check out that dt 408

Yep, start with the bottom two, then alternate side to aside and work your way up to the top. It's really not that bad.

I have seen some 408's. Our local vo tech has one on a stand I was looking at last summer when I was there doing electrical work.

If I keep the Chevy, it will get my 4-71 Detroit.:sly I am more likely to get another truck all together, probably an International.

I really like this one here:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/3483852503.html

SyicoIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love 2 stroke diesels. Nice two sticking too. I was talking to an old rig driver who said he used to drive a three stick job back in the 70's. That must have been a chore. I don,t even want to think about attempting that, on a public road anyways.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yep. I love the sound.

I think my uncle had an old boom truck that had 3. It's been so long ago that I really can't remember.

SyicoIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Big storm brewing.

Well IDk if you heard but the north east is going to get walloped Friday and Saturday. 12- 24" expected. With that in mind I have brought my build into overdrive to get this tuck making e money again. I hate to test the bugs of this build in a blizzard but I need to recoop some losses. Here is where I stand. Pics from phone are in next post.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger