S1600 Rebuild

SyicoIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone? have an idea on what that threaded hole in the block is for? I need to figure it our before I move forward. Sorry I have not posted much. It as been cold here in Mass, and I also caught the FLU :puke: It is supposed to warm up this week and I am over the FLU so I will try to make some progress this week. But I need to know *** that hole is for.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Could you get a picture of it. During a recent engine swap. The donor was a van. When swapping the oil coolers, the van only used 3 of the bolt holes but the truck cooler used all four. Is it the front flange? But a rearward bolt hole?
Lemme see if I can dig up some pics.

SyicoIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

It looks to large to be a mounting bolt and it is right in the middle of the gasket path. It also has this weird recessed part before the threads start. It looks like a plug fits in their I bet the guys who rebuilt it took it out and never put it back in. :dunno

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Hmmm.... I'll look at the two blocks I have here later today and see what I find. Of course they're 7.3, but still should be the same. I would think it's an optional port for more flow. :dunno:

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Try posting the picture in a new thread. I think someone will chime in then. I wish I had seen this, I just had my cooler off about 2 weeks ago to replace a bad freeze plug. I inspected the surfaces to make sure they were clean but didn't pay much attention to anything else, sorry.:dunno

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There should be a pipe plug in that hole. Likely removed at the machine shop and didn't get replaced. Here is a picuture of my block with the plug in place.

Heath

SyicoIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well lookie here

I decided to go through and replace the gaskets on my transmission and the rear seal since it always leaked and it leaked alright and here is why

don't you just love new discoveries on old trucks.

The more I dig the more turds I turn up. One must ask ones self, when do you stop digging?

Another question is this hole up top supposed to be plugged? and anyone know what plug size it is? I can not remember book says its a expansion plug but does not say what size.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another question is this hole up top supposed to be plugged? and anyone know what plug size it is? I can not remember book says its a expansion plug but does not say what size.

Yup, there is supposed to be a plug there. Dang man, the machine shop left a few things out of the block eh? I'd have a really good look at everything to make sure nothing else is missing.

SyicoIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yup, there is supposed to be a plug there. Dang man, the machine shop left a few things out of the block eh? I'd have a really good look at everything to make sure nothing else is missing.

Yeah. This is my first undertaking of something this large. I most definitely will pay more attention next time.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure as I never had that plug out, but they certainly do make 11/32 block plugs.

Heath

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online