Running out of Ideas to Fix My Constant Smoking 6.9

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a thread on FTE since my truck started losing power and smoking more and more (http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...up-gray-smoke-at-throttle-and-power-loss.html) but I'll put all the info below so it won't be necessary to read through all that.

The gist of it is this:

Truck started smoking grey unburnt fuel at start up, no matter the temp. Smoke thins out as it warms up, but haze is still there at idle. By half throttle, it's blowing more grey fuel smoke, and at full throttle it's blowing a cloud of grey, with very little black, even at WOT. Truck fires right up in the morning, and runs and idles smooth. Also pretty major power loss, and mileage has cut in half, at best (partially due to using more throttle to get it to get up and go, I'm sure). Some days the power loss seems worse than others, haven't noticed any correlation with the outside temp though.

And what I've done so far:

Reman Injectors about a year ago (old ones didn't NEED to be replaced, but were original and I had the money at the time). Return caps & lines, viton o-rings and CDR done around the same time.

Was concerned with a low fuel pressure reading, but discovered the ancient water separator was pretty clogged up with black sludge that I believe was knocked loose from the front tank thanks to a large shot of Diesel Kleen. Installed a plastic see through NAPA fuel filter in it's place a couple weeks ago for the time being. Dropped and cleaned out the rear tank, and have only been running fuel from there now. See through filter has some debris in it from the front tank still, but fuel pressure is reading normal range now. Also replaced the factory screw on fuel filter since then, and will put the water separator back in after next paycheck.

After exhausting any other ideas, and going on some folks recommendations; I recently bought and installed a U-Haul pump (The old pump was replaced shortly before I bought the truck). The new pump made no difference at all, so the IP is NOT the issue. Runs and smokes EXACTLY the same. Both pumps have been timed to 8 degrees @ 2000rpm with my pulse adapter. Got the idea that maybe the harmonic balancer had shifted and made my timing read incorrectly. Backed the pump to the factory marks, and still makes NO difference in the smoking. At least I now have two good pumps.:rolleyes:

It seems to be a fueling issue, but I'm running out of ideas here. :frustrate
I've only had to drive around town lately, so it's been tolerable (besides the amount of fuel it's going through). I just need a new idea where to look, as after hours of reading between here and FTE, I'm at a loss. Trying to think of something minor I may have overlooked...:dunno

ANY info, questions, etc. is GREATLY appreciated. I can get pics or vids of anything on request. Thanks in advance, folks!

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next paycheck (This Fri) I'll be buying a compression tester, since my old one is for gas engines. I'll post up the results as soon as I have them.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What condition is the air cleaner in. Is the inlet restricked al all with say a mouse nest.. They have a way of clogging up the intakes sometimes.

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New air filter and everything is open and clean. Still has the same smoke haze at idle with the air cleaner off.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Could you have CDR issues? I would send your old injectors out to be pop tested and checked for spray pattern. I'm really leaning on injectors here, sorry to say.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't tell from your description whether you replaced the injectors because of the smoking or prior to.
If you still have your old injectors a cheap diagnostic would be to throw them back in and see if anything changes.

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
As Goose suggested, I would check the CDR and make sure it is not clogged or restricted.... Does the truck use any oil ?? I had a 92 F250 7.3 that smoked alot. The smoke looked grey but had a slight blueish tinge to it. Truck ran perfect with plenty of power and you would have never thought any thing was wrong with it other then the smoking. Finally turned out the engine was dusted and it was blow-by getting past the rings..:eek:.

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As Goose suggested, I would check the CDR and make sure it is not clogged or restricted.... Does the truck use any oil ?? I had a 92 F250 7.3 that smoked alot. The smoke looked grey but had a slight blueish tinge to it. Truck ran perfect with plenty of power and you would have never thought any thing was wrong with it other then the smoking. Finally turned out the engine was dusted and it was blow-by getting past the rings..:eek:.

Mine does the same...can it still have 400 psi compression and have blow by??

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses, good to get some more input and ideas what to check (and double check)

Could you have CDR issues? I would send your old injectors out to be pop tested and checked for spray pattern. I'm really leaning on injectors here, sorry to say.
CDR could be an issue; but with the air cleaner off I can see it sucking oil mist into the intake, so it's not clogged. The truck barely uses any oil. Seems like there's more leaking from the IP housing than there is in the intake.

I can't tell from your description whether you replaced the injectors because of the smoking or prior to.
If you still have your old injectors a cheap diagnostic would be to throw them back in and see if anything changes.
I replaced the injectors originally when I did my head gaskets, and noticed all my injectors were still IH grey and all had matching 85 date code stamps. Had the money at the time, and the IP was new enough that I put a set in. I still have the originals capped and boxed up, so I might try swapping in the old ones depending on the weather tomorrow...

How was the engine timed? Proper timing is essential.
Timed myself with a Ferret Adapter and Snap-On Light. 8 degrees at 2000rpm.

As Goose suggested, I would check the CDR and make sure it is not clogged or restricted.... Does the truck use any oil ??
I'll double check the CDR tomorrow, just to be sure.;Sweet

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep advancing the timing little by little til the smoke disappears, then check the timing. Mark the IP before advancing so you can return it if need be. If the smoke disappears, take a drive for a power check. One or two defective injectors would make black smoke under load.

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, that's why routed the crankcase gases into the exhaust on Goldie thru a RDT.;Sweet

I also have an RDT...what confuses me is it seems like after sitting for a couple minutes oil leaks into the combustion chamber and seems to make it run rough and blow blue/grey for a bit until it clears out. Valve seals?

It didnt do this on my other truck (the one the IP is off of)

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I also have an RDT...what confuses me is it seems like after sitting for a couple minutes oil leaks into the combustion chamber and seems to make it run rough and blow blue/grey for a bit until it clears out. Valve seals?

It didnt do this on my other truck (the one the IP is off of)

From what you describe if it's doing that after shutting down then yes it's likely that the valve stem seals have failed. The exhaust stem seals are usually the first to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726