Running out of Ideas to Fix My Constant Smoking 6.9

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Injectors will be at my house Fri. I called and they said they're only replacing the one that was squirting, not the low pop ones. At least I have my originals to pull shims from.

Just going to run them when they arrive, haven't been able to work without the truck, which doesn't help things at all. Time to save some change to build my own pop tester...

EDIT: Anyone have an old injector line they'd be willing to part with? :D The junkyard here is terrible...

Last edited:

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put the injectors back in the truck yesterday, and no more of the smoking issues! Runs better than it has in a while, and has plenty more power. Still going to build a pop-tester when funds allow, so I can dial in the pop pressure for all of them.

I installed an inline fuel shut off valve before pulling the injectors. So glad that I did; after weeks of sitting, the truck fired up after one cranking cycle and ran great.

Thanks for all the great help folks, so glad to have it all worked out (for now at least...LOL)

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ugh, truck started smoking again. Time to retest and shim my injectors, or just buy some new ones... -cuss

Picked up one of the Star/Hoffman compression testers online (works great, and has multiple fittings for our engines) so I finally got to do a compression test, and it came out just fine: 400, 390, 380, 405, 390, 390, 380, 410.