Running out of Ideas to Fix My Constant Smoking 6.9

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went by the school Wed morning, but they're closed thanks to the holiday, so can't grab my injectors until Mon.

In the meantime; I keep seeing folks talking about a shortage of new Delphi BBs being available, wondering where I should be looking for good injectors? I'm sure my old ones will be an improvement, but don't want to rely on them for the long term, just use them as a backup (as well as my re-mans I most likely will be shipping back under warranty).

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as I'm reading threads trying to figure out what to do about my own trucks smoking problem I've noticed that no ones really addressing the altitude issue.

Mumwage, your at 4550 FT above sea level. I'm at 5280. So the available oxygen to burn fuel is some percentage less than what it is at sea level. If your IP had go the fuel turned up to far your not going to get a complete burn no mater what the timing.

You must be registered for see images attach

So the real question becomes how to calibrate the fuel / air mixture manually for our altitude. Which is probably what my problem is as well.

http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c262/bostonpyramidbuilder/?action=view&current=DSCN0256.mp4

its not so bad unless its under load, then it smokes like a freight train. When I checked the exhaust tubing to see what kinda soot I was getting it was wet with fuel/mixture, so I'm sure I'm not getting a complete burn. My timing is set just a tad ahead of factory and all components of the injection system are new.

Its the altitude, I'm going to be turning the IP down today or tomorrow and take it out for another test spin.

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wondered about the altitude when I first got out here.
Both my IPs are at stock settings, and the truck had no new smoking for the first few months I've been out here, so the altitude isn't where the smoking is coming from for me.

After I resolve if this is or isn't an injector issue, I'll be delving into the details of adjusting the pump and where my timing will work best at.

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine smoked from the word go so I don't think in my case I can rule out altitude. Just thought maybe in your case as well.

Cheers and best of luck
B

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Pensacola products aren't that great. OFI in Oregon has plenty of delphi BB codes the last time I checked. As well as smarty fuel products in billings. Altitude doesn't have that much of an effect on it in my opinion. I have had mine timed at my 3500 ft and towed things across the country and never noticed any change in power. I would start with your injectors first before even doing a compression check. If you do a compression check Be careful when you pull your GPs though cause if they are cheap autolite plugs the tips will fall off into the engine. Then you can have fun fishing it out or blowing it out the exhaust. My truck smokes at idle, running 55, and under load. I just keep the coal rolling and making the people behind me nauseated:puke:

O-F-I.com

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when I pulled my GP's out and replaced them several had disintegrated. The broken ends were caked in soot and had obviously been in for a while broke. I think these engines must be pretty tough cause from what I've been able to tell they can suck a glow Plug through and not even notice it.

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No worries on the GPs here; I put a new set of Berus in 4 or 5 months ago, and they cycle perfectly. Truck fires right up when it's been steadily below freezing lately.

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, went down to the school to get my original injectors, which they still hadn't tested, but the teacher said we could go test them. Made it through 3 of them, one was about 500psi, the next 2 were closer to 1000, but the spray patterns were a mess.
Called it quits after that; So no swapping the old injectors back in (which is too bad, since the truck was running fine with them before...).:mad:

So now it's down to buying a new set of injectors (which from a thread I just read says they're not available until Feb?!:eek:) I can't afford the downtime with the truck mailing back the remans to Pensecola, but looks like I'll just have to deal with it. About a day or two more of work right now, then I should have time to take out the remans and walk them down to the school and pop test them...

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You shouldn't have to send a core in untill the new ones are in and running.

Not sending the ones in the truck back in as cores, they're still under warranty from Pensecola.

The originals I just had tested I will be using as cores when new injectors are available and I have the funds.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Well, went down to the school to get my original injectors, which they still hadn't tested, but the teacher said we could go test them. Made it through 3 of them, one was about 500psi, the next 2 were closer to 1000, but the spray patterns were a mess.
Called it quits after that; So no swapping the old injectors back in (which is too bad, since the truck was running fine with them before...).:mad:

So now it's down to buying a new set of injectors (which from a thread I just read says they're not available until Feb?!:eek:) I can't afford the downtime with the truck mailing back the remans to Pensecola, but looks like I'll just have to deal with it. About a day or two more of work right now, then I should have time to take out the remans and walk them down to the school and pop test them...

Even if none of the floks who sell those injectors on the net at high volume can get any right now, you might want to check a local pump shop. Chances are they have a set in stock

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulled my injectors today; All but one was wet with fuel. I wiped them dry after popping off the return lines and before pulling them so nothing would dribble down. Hopefully they'll be able to pop test them tomorrow or Fri...

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just pop tested them all yesterday. 5 were popping at 1800 max, 2 were popping around 1500, and one was popping at 1500 but leaked and just squirted fuel instead of atomizing it. Calling Pensecola today to get my return number. We'll see if this fixes it. :D

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That blue smoke in my avatar was caused by 3 leaking injectors that did what you said one of yours did. ;Really