Removing the dryer

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aside from my lift pump problem, I'm trying to get the a/c working. Is there a trick to breaking loose the big ass nut going to the evaporator? I've hit with PB blaster, there's no pressure in the system, I've busted out the BFW with a "tool extension", and heated it up and melted a candle to the threads.

I tweak the tube to the evap when I start putting too much umpgh on it and I don't want to screw up the evap.

Thanks

Smokey73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like you're not going to have much of a choice but to twist it off. A good hose shop can fix the evap when you're done with it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Are you turning it the right direction??? I know that may seem odd but sometimes we all make mistakes because of the "way" we look at things. These are just aluminum fittings with an o-ring making the seal. If the o-ring is bad no amount of extra tightening will fix the leak...

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I'm sure I'm going the right way. I thought about that already, more than once. Even checked the threads on the new dryer. I'm not trying to tighten it to fix a leak, I'm trying to un-tighten it to replace the dryer.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Aero Kroil is what you need. Let it soak overnight. the only thing pblaster will loosen is cash from your wallet. use open wrenches the actual size of the fittings, do not try to use cresent wrenches. A wrench on the fitting and the backup nut at a V angle close together and squeeze your hands together. AC fittings should not be that tight, but there may be some oxidation holding you up. if need be let the kroil soak for a few days it will remove the obsticle . I;ve never run across one that a little patience wont get. Do not try to use just one wrench or you will ruin it, I can just about guarantee it.

A_G

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aero Kroil is what you need. Let it soak overnight. the only thing pblaster will loosen is cash from your wallet. use open wrenches the actual size of the fittings, do not try to use cresent wrenches. A wrench on the fitting and the backup nut at a V angle close together and squeeze your hands together. AC fittings should not be that tight, but there may be some oxidation holding you up. if need be let the kroil soak for a few days it will remove the obsticle . I;ve never run across one that a little patience wont get. Do not try to use just one wrench or you will ruin it, I can just about guarantee it.

Its good stuff, used it at the shop alot, only one thing it didnt get loose, brass nut, brass fitting, cross threaded. used kroil still woudlnt break it so i broke out the blue wrench.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kroil is the best penetrating oil, bar none. ;Sweet The only place I found it out here was at
a small independently owned place called MCK Tool Supply.
You should be able to find it at a tool warehouse in your neck of the woods.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Cool.

Anyone know if the big ass nuts are metric or standard?

THose nuts are standard, even on foreign cars.. Check with a HVAC ( commercial heat and air ) supply. those places usualy carry Aero Kroil.When you are trying to open up commercial AC systems that have been open to the elements for 30 years, you need Kroil. You can always order it from their website

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A 50:50 mix of Acetone and ATF is supposed to be better than Aerokroil even. :dunno

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
A 50:50 mix of Acetone and ATF is supposed to be better than Aerokroil even. :dunno
Supposed to.. Tried it... I don't know what they were smokin', but it didn't do squat. It;s amazing what people will write up in reports by manipulating data when they are trying to prove a point cookoo

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Aerokroil is really some good stuff. Its not a lubrication type oil either but it will creep into a crack down to 1 millionth of an inch.:eek: Add some heat and then cool the joint will it and watch it suck into the threads. Kano Labs makes it. Buy two cans for the price of one. If you don't like it send back the unused can and keep the opened one.. How can you get a better deal than that. I garrantee you wont send anything back....

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mixed up a batch of that 50/50 and also did not feel that it worked very well. I attributed it to me not doing it right. LOL :dunno

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kroil is good stuff, as is the flame wrench.

Loctite has some new freeze spray. The first formulation was just ok, but I've got to say the latest formulation works very well.

Check it out, it's worth a shot (also good as a substitute for putting stuff in the freezer to shrink such as pressing in bearings).

Good luck.