Recommendations for AC coolant.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A fully charged ac on these will condensate the suction line (larger of the two) right up to the compressor. Add a can slowly and watch the condensation creep from the accumulator to the compressor. Watch the condensate drip from evaporator (under truck) and when it’s charged you’ll see a steady drip, drip, drip. If you add to fast and overcharge you begin to lose cooling.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you!

Thank you!

Both! :D

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’re welcome. Make sure your condensate drain is not clogged before you start. If it hasn’t been condensating in a while they tend to clog up with dirt or dust. Reach down by hvac box (has fan and evap coil, can also reach up from underneath) there is a rubber tube/nipple. Squeeze it and make sure it is not stuck together.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, I finally got some time today, to check this out.

1. It is R-12
2. It IS working. No leaks. It gets cold enough to freeze your fingers if you put them up to the vents. After a very short time operating. Just no blasting of arctic cold when driving down the road.

I checked the blend door operation. Now, I didn't check it's operation before manually fiddling with it, so I guess it could have been stuck before, and is no longer stuck. But it looks like it is doing what it should. What makes me wonder if it was stuck up until I operated it manually a few times, is the fact that now, turning it to max ac, instead of just leaving it on ac, seems to make more of a difference than it did before. Before, max and regular ac were about the same.

I checked the lines. High and low. High side gets hot. Low side, (Up by the bic black can.) Gets cold.

The longer it runs, the colder it gets.

The compressor comes on, on demand, and stays on, as long as there is demand. No short-cycling.

Bottom line, I really think the system is just fine. It just might need a bit more refrigerant.

Now I need to know what I need, to get some more R-12 in there.

I'll test it again, on the road, the next time it gets hot here. Going into a colder spell again, for a while. It is entirely possible that blend door was stuck, and that was the only problem I had. (It did operate the first time I did it manually, like it was stuck.)

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Given all that your evaporator could be clogged with gunk in the fins too. It could be working fine but not able to squeeze enough air through it.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, I could see that possibly being the case as well. Especially with all the rats and mice we have here.

I am not about to even try to take all that apart today.

Maybe sometime next week.

Also not going to be doing that any time in the foreseeable future, if it means I have to disconnect any AC lines.

Almost tempted to get an r-134a adapter for the low side, just so I can use this cheapo hose/gauge that comes with the cans of 134a... To see what kind of pressure I have in there.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure you can just take off the blower motor [4 10mm bolts I think] and wiggle the motor out and eye things up.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Pretty sure you can just take off the blower motor [4 10mm bolts I think] and wiggle the motor out and eye things up.
Depends. I can't remember if he has a e series or Pickup. Pickup you can easily pull the blower. I can't recall on the e series.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
He has an F-Series........

But, the E-Series blower is easy also. It is above the passengers feet......

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online