recommend headlight upgrade?

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just played this game. I wanted to stay away from LED's at this point, as the cheaper ones technically aren't road legal. I went with a set of Hella H4's (which I guess are also not technically road legal, but not as blinding to oncoming traffic). Building your own harness is really easy, using two relays, and taking power off the battery, versus running it through the switch. Switch is used to initiate the relays. There is a harness available from LMC truck, or get on youtube, couple of how-to videos for our trucks. The big issue is running higher amperage through the stock switch, it just doesn't take it well. I like the cut of the Hella lights, gives a nice crisp beam. They can be had for around 100.00, or watch ebay. I found mine NOS for 35.00. I ran the 55/60 watt bulbs, and it is a vast improvement over sealed beams. You can step up to 100 watt if you want flamethrowers.

I've got Hella H4's in our Jeep XJ. Actually they are the Auto Pal knock offs, none the less they've been working flawlessly for along time, more than 10 years iirc. I went with a 55/100 and as long as I stay attentive, I don't blind anyone and the high beams are awesome. I didn't know that they were available for OBS trucks! Would you mind sharing a link? TIA

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bronco graveyard has the harness premade which I installed on one truck after doing the other truck by the instructions from this forum.
That coupled with some sylvanias made an insane difference! The bulb upgrade I tried before the harness upgrade was still similar to having a troll on your hood holding up a lantern haha

I used the pre-made harness from Bronco Graveyard in both of my trucks. No complaints, if you don't have the time to make one yourself this is a good option.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bronco graveyard has the harness premade which I installed on one truck after doing the other truck by the instructions from this forum.
That coupled with some sylvanias made an insane difference! The bulb upgrade I tried before the harness upgrade was still similar to having a troll on your hood holding up a lantern haha

@Danielle had me at a troll holding a lantern just has that mental picture

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For led, look at the gtr lighting ultra 2.

I looked at their 9004 bulbs. They say:
These bulbs labeled "9004" are interchangeable with these other bulb numbers, they are all practically identical: 9007, HB5, 9004, HB1.
That tells me they aren't going to work. The element position is very different between the 9007 and 9004 bulbs, and if we put one of their bulbs in the 9004 headlight assembly, it's not going to focus right.

Chris Helton

Reaction score
I've got Hella H4's in our Jeep XJ. Actually they are the Auto Pal knock offs, none the less they've been working flawlessly for along time, more than 10 years iirc. I went with a 55/100 and as long as I stay attentive, I don't blind anyone and the high beams are awesome. I didn't know that they were available for OBS trucks! Would you mind sharing a link? TIA

This is the system Garbage Mechanic was talking about, looks good,
https://cpaddict.com/bricknose-australian-headlight-conversion-kit/

I had a set of the Auto Pal knock offs in my Cherokee. They worked really well for the price.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I used the pre-made harness from Bronco Graveyard in both of my trucks. No complaints, if you don't have the time to make one yourself this is a good option.
I'm running the one from LMC Truck in both of mine. They are probably the same thing as offered by Bronco Graveyard. One thing you forgot to mention is the fast installation time when using one of these pre made harnesses. On my 1981 F150, I changed the oil, both headlights, and installed the harness in less than 2 1/2 hours.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the system Garbage Mechanic was talking about, looks good,
https://cpaddict.com/bricknose-australian-headlight-conversion-kit/

I had a set of the Auto Pal knock offs in my Cherokee. They worked really well for the price.

Agreed. I think that the Auto Pals are great regardless of price. However, I was inquiring about a link for H4's for Raylan my '94, if the H4's are available somega 55/100's jus might be the way to go. I sold Diego my Brickhouse to Chris @chillman88

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Staff online

Members online