Re ring in frame?

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Those were my sentiments whenever I got tired of dealing with it and pull the motor anyway. Difference then and now is 3700 missing from the account.....

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You don't really even need to remove the balancer to pull the engine out. I just remove the pulleys. You will either need to use a strap of something similar to raise the front of the engine or else twist the engine to the side a little bit. It does come right out. You have to keep an eye on the hoses and wires at the back of the engine. You will hook them. Just don't pull too ******* them.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
You can replace main bearings without removing the crank. We do it on larger truck engines all the time when doing an inframe. All you need is a roofing nail

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Technically you could, but it would be a huge pain in the rear, and the quality of the end result could be questionable. As mentioned, possible but difficult to remove heads and oil pan in the truck, and then from there access to get to the bearing caps and drive the pistons out would be painful as well. Further, you wouldn't be able to polish the crank, renew bores (other than a glaze breaking hone) or adequately clean the oil/coolant passages all of which are part of a real rebuild. On large trucks where in frames are common you have much better access and removable liners so you can fully replace the piston, rings & cylinders.

If you a single bad bearing or set of rings and everything else was good it might be worthwhile, but for a complete engine either leave it alone or pull it and do it right.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did bearings in my scout. But that only included dropping the pan. No lifting the engine. I imagine rings would be easy once you got the heads off.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull the engine.

Even if you can pull off an in-frame job, it will be very hard work, will likely take you longer, and you won't be able to do as good a job.

Work smart, not hard, get it done right the first time.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep I pulled a craigslist engine and tranny together with just pulling the rad and cutting two blades off the fan. You can do it just gotta dangle the angle just right
Haha yup. Lots of angle dangling and fanangling that day. It was fun though!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep I pulled a craigslist engine and tranny together with just pulling the rad and cutting two blades off the fan. You can do it just gotta dangle the angle just right
Oh and don't forget we had to cut the crossmember for yoke to clear

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh and don't forget we had to cut the crossmember for yoke to clear
I'm so glad I have a DeWalt 20V 1/2 impact wrench now. I can remove that crossmember, even with rusty bolts, faster than you can cut it with anything but a torch. And maby not even then.

Just kind of a plug - good tools will make all the difference here between a 'big' and an 'impossible' job. And, IMHO, a good impact(air or electric) is basically a requirement for any engine removal, transmission etc.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm so glad I have a DeWalt 20V 1/2 impact wrench now. I can remove that crossmember, even with rusty bolts, faster than you can cut it with anything but a torch. And maby not even then.

Just kind of a plug - good tools will make all the difference here between a 'big' and an 'impossible' job. And, IMHO, a good impact(air or electric) is basically a requirement for any engine removal, transmission etc.
Oh I agree 100% I had my cordless tools with me at that time but I was already under the truck with the sawzall and a demotion blade on it lol

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just pull the engine. If you need rings, you probably could use bearings and a valve job anyway. No sense doing it half-assed. I just rebuilt my engine a month ago. Remove the fan, pulleys, radiator and it will come out. You need to angle the front of the engine towards the drivers' side as you lift it up and it will clear everything. I bought the Harbor Freight 2 ton lift and 2000lb engine stand. That engine is 800+ lbs, be careful, but it is very do-able (I've done it 2x). Then, Craigslist the lift and stand and you're only out a few bucks on it.

gfemling

Reaction score
Just pull the engine. If you need rings, you probably could use bearings and a valve job anyway. No sense doing it half-assed. I just rebuilt my engine a month ago. Remove the fan, pulleys, radiator and it will come out. You need to angle the front of the engine towards the drivers' side as you lift it up and it will clear everything. I bought the Harbor Freight 2 ton lift and 2000lb engine stand. That engine is 800+ lbs, be careful, but it is very do-able (I've done it 2x). Then, Craigslist the lift and stand and you're only out a few bucks on it.
X2 on above and with heads and accessories on it a 2k stand is almost essential- for the price did trying to get by with a 1k stand is foolish and nearly dangerous.

furfishgame

Reaction score
Lol yeah i got the hint. I am nkt close to needing a rebuild yet but was curious, since im rebuilding both axles and putting a new tranny in if i could do an inframe. Ive done in frames on my semis before, but those are easy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance