Re ring in frame?

furfishgame

Reaction score
Need to do head gaskets, and was wondering if you can re ring (piston rings, maybe main bearing, all new gaskets etc) in frame? I dont have a cherry picker or stand to pull the engine, and dont want to buy them as its not that important.
1990 7.3, rajay turbo.
Thoughts? Do’s and donts?

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not done it personally, but If I remember correctly some others on this site have said that you can't remove the oil pan with the engine in the frame. So, if that is correct, the answer should be no. Other more informed members please chime in.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
Need to do head gaskets, and was wondering if you can re ring (piston rings, maybe main bearing, all new gaskets etc) in frame?

No.

On an N/A truck, you can jack the engine up enough to change the oil pump (which is an exceptionally rarely needed repair) or re-seal the oil pan, but that's it.

pafixitman

Reaction score
I pulled a pan in frame to replace a piston when my valve hit. I was factory turbo at the time. Yanked the turbo, raised the engine till it hit the firewall. You are able to pull the pan at that point.

That said I will NEVER do something like that in frame again. I'll pull the front clip and yank the engine if I ever need to do something like that again.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Btw, it's possible to pull the engine wihout removing the front clip; did it on my '88. Just remove the harmonic balancer for clearance, the rad, fan etx... then pull it up and out. You'll have to wiggle/tilt it a bit to get it to clear.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep I pulled a craigslist engine and tranny together with just pulling the rad and cutting two blades off the fan. You can do it just gotta dangle the angle just right

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Btw, it's possible to pull the engine wihout removing the front clip; did it on my '88. Just remove the harmonic balancer for clearance, the rad, fan etx... then pull it up and out. You'll have to wiggle/tilt it a bit to get it to clear.

What he said. I’ve done this a hand full of times as well. It’ll be much easier and you’ll be able to do a much better job if you have the engine out & on a stand to work on.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Might look for a used stand and/or hoist too.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Jesus is my savior, and can be yours too!"
I don't think He is going to be much help.

Just give it some thought of what has to be done doing what your asking about.

Drain oil and coolant before jacking, pull block drain plugs, or get a face full of coolant.

Jacking engine up and holding in place to remove pan.

Remove oil pump so you can get the pan off.

Two days scraping RTV off pan rails.

Pulling heads off, they weigh 85 lbs. Putting them back on is almost impossible by hand without ruining the new gaskets. Better have the strength of a Gorilla.

Pulling pistons to re-ring. Take rod cap off underneath punch piston up, go top side pull piston, re-ring, with piston out, hone cylinder to break glaze, better have rags to protect crank throw. But you can do two at a time as there is always two at TDC.

Repeat 16 times. enough said?

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Did heads once in frame. Thought it was a good idea. Never again. Fighting squirrel cage on one side getting bolts out and driver side same wit brake booster. And as oldbull8 said, real heavy and easy to bust new gaskets during install. Not worth it to me. Went to change front and rear main seals and pan gasket in frame as well. Got rear done and front done got mad at the pan cause I couldn't make much progress so wound up pulling the block any way and just did complete rebuild since it was out anyways. Sad thing is in frame gaskets took almost as long as the complete rebuild out of frame to include wait time on machining and waiting on parts to deliver

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its much more work than pulling the engine. You can rent or borrow an engine puller

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have your Location USA, tell us where, maybe someone has the equipment to loan to pull engine and engine stand. If your close to me, I've got it all.

EDIT: Oops, wrong thread. SORRY.

Last edited:

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
Also, the OP asked about changing main bearings, which suggests splitting the trans anyways.......
But you guys insinuating he could do this, how do you propose he gets a torque wrench in there for his bearing caps? :bail
I didn't specify WHY he couldn't do this project, I just said "no". LOL

Also, while it is out, do your oil cooler, and get your heads checked......

Honestly, as far as you are talking about going, why not call it a complete overhaul and go all in? :dunno