Pyro temps off # 8

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody have any data on EGT's that are running their TC Probe near #8 exhaust port right before the bend down in the Exhaust Manifold? It would seem to me that I could run max temps a little higher than the 1000* "safe limit" but I don't have much experience with these engines. I have a freshly built 94 IDI Factory Turbo engine that I am breaking in and today I stood on it and it hit 1000* in a flash at about 40 MPH in third with no trailer in tow or hill to pull. With my old engine it took a serious uphill load to do that. I do get some soot on low RPM load but not too much more than the old setup. The kicker for me is that all these component parts are all new to me and absolutely none have been run by me in this configuration before. I put in a MWFI rebuilt 4021 IP that I cranked up 90* with new D code injectors. The power seems right for an engine with only 20 miles an it as in not yet broken in yet, but I am not sure if I should turn the pump back or not. Any advice?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Turn it down... Thats a tuff way to break in a new motor thats tight. The rings are what makes all the drag and heat till they are seated. Don't baby the motor either but work it so the cylinders and rings don't varnish up from oil not being burned off. Lots of on and off the throttle works best here. These motors were designed to go to work from day one but... Not designed to be babied either. Find grades and get on it. Then cool it down on the other side... Or even an easier way to break them in properly is to load up the bead with 1000 to 2000 lbs os something... Even dragging an empty trailer will hurry up the breakin...

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been taking it over to a big empty parking lot and repeatedly accelerating in second gear to heat the rings and then backing off to cool them down to help seat the rings. I'll hitch up my 3000# trailer and pull it around for the next phaze.
How long or how many miles do you think it would take to seat the rings? I want to avoid varnishing the cylinders at all costs. These are the Keystone rings running on the Melling HP sleeves. Both materials seem pretty tough. I also have the Inco Alloy Exhaust Valves in Magnesium Bronze Guides so I'm not overly concerned about short hot blasts. I'm more concerned about pulling long grades with a load.
I've got a trip coming up in two weeks that will be 1600 miles one way with maybe 7000# on the trailer. I need to be ready for that. For now I think I'll leave the pump set where it is to keep flooding the cylinders with fuel and keep a close eye on the Pyro.
Before the trip I guess I'll back the pump off just a bit. Does maybe 1/2 a flat sound right?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Timing effects EGT's a lot too. If this is a fresh rebuild, how did you time it?

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
new engines run hotter anyway. everything is tight. everything makes more heat.

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Timing effects EGT's a lot too. If this is a fresh rebuild, how did you time it?

I lined up the marks. I can't find anybody in this city of 4,000,000 that has a pulse meter for these "old things" as they call them. The Dealer Service Departments tell me they don't need to be timed. Or "Align the "Y" with the Y" ... I swear this city is a cultural wasteland.
Anyways, if I didn't have prior commitments I'd see you in a few weeks at the Rally. I thought about calling ahead and finding somebody along my route North to time it for me. If anybody knows of one I'd be stoked to hear about it.
The route I take is from Houston, up 59 to Texarkana then East on I-30 to Little Rock where I pick up I-40 East to West Memphis where I jump onto I-55 North to I-57 up to Champaign then to I-74 West to Bloomington where I pick up I-39 to Madison. Then it's 151 to US 41 to the Upper Peninsula.
Like I said I'd be stoked. I don't know anybody else around here that has an IDI to compare it to. So I listen to Power Strokes and make sure mines a little bit quieter, but that's so lame....

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are taking that route July 4th weekend, you will be only a few miles from the ralley when you pass I-90 in the Rockford area..... If I get a chance to drive up, I am going to go from Indy to my parents Between Champaign and Danville, Il.. and then follow the same route that you are taking.....

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm in houston. you're welcome to compare it to mine. i think it's never been messed with. don't know how much the exhaust changes will effect that though. pm me if you're interested.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
First break the engine in, then play with the timing, sometimes advanced timing actually lowers EGT's

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK so I'm meeting member JamOoO at noon tomorrow to compare the sounds of "Timing by Ear" . I intend to record the audio of both trucks for future comparison purposes. Any input as to what RPM's and conditions I should be looking for sampling sounds at? With out any further input I would assume fully warmed up i.e. thermostat open and Sample 1 at idle speed and Sample 2 at 2000 RPM. Both held for 10 seconds.
I would also like to do a video of a tail pipe opacity test by momentarily depressing the pedal to the floor from idle and checking the smoke produced.
Any other suggestions or modifications of procedure?

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I finally found somebody that has a Pulse meter and can time this IDI. They're about 30 miles North of town. The shop is called Efficient Mechanical. He estimated an hour and a half at $85/HR to time it. I want to record the current timing with the marks aligned and the set it correctly.
Now the big Q. What should I have him set it to? 9.5* BTDC at 2000 RPM ?