project: Lucille

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
next thing i want to run by y'all.

the trans i just dropped of at the rebuild shop is from a 97 4x4 PSD. i am trying to get a head start and have him strip that one down so i can clean and paint it then take what parts i need from my old trans to build one.

now i was thinking of just putting the whole trans and transfer case in my truck just because i have the parts. then i remembered the speedo is fly by wire....

is there any easy way to make that work in a 91 truck? i have all the parts from the 97, cluster and harness. i dont have much time so if not ill just stick with keeping it 2x4.

Use a pre 92 transfercase.

When using a post 95 tranny, you will need to swap the solenoid pack to pre 95. Unless you are using an aftermarket controller.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes i am using a trans controller. what is different between the solenoid packs? i know a little on the E4 but not that much. you have any suggestions for good upgrades? the builder is pretty good with them but more knowledge never hurts.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
yes i am using a trans controller. what is different between the solenoid packs? i know a little on the E4 but not that much. you have any suggestions for good upgrades? the builder is pretty good with them but more knowledge never hurts.

95 was the upgrade year to make the E4 handle more power. One of the changes was the solenoid pack. The pack connector needs to be repinned to operate a pre 95 E4.

There are many good upgrades for the E4. Depend on how crazy of a build you want to do, or how much coin you want to drop.

Starting from the tail. Tighten the low/reverse stack clearance. This is usually around .060 stock. Bring this down to around .030. You can do this by using thicker steels. I prefer to add another friction and a steel. Then machine the pressure plate to make up the clearance.

Upgrade the center support if it hasn't been done. Basically adding a ball bearing to the support. While it is out, machine the support to accept a Sonnax support ring. For extreme duty machine both sides of the support for two rings. Add some Sonnax shims to the feed bolts during reassembly. Also use a Sonnax gasket for the hub.

Use a new sun shell.

Replace any aluminum carrier planetary gears sets with steel. Replace the low/reverse with a six pin gear set. This will require replacing the low/reverse drum with a 4R100 part.

Upgrade the roller sprags to the current design.

Increase the friction count to the forward and direct clutch packs.

Use a new hardened input shaft.

Replace the front pump with a F5 pump if it has the old E9 pump.

Pump mods, what ever the shift kit includes. Plus the anti drain back valve.

This is only a little of the upgrades. There are more, many more. The list above if done right will hold 450 HP easy. More power will require treated and billet parts.:D

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats great info. i dont need a crazy trans, just something to hold the power i got but can handle some good use and performs the way i want.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not much done but some progress..

i got most of the roof cleaned up and installed the cab lights, just some wet sand and buffing and it looks new again. i also put the new reverse lights in, they are decent but could be brighter. also got the LEDs in the gauges so they finally match the banks gauges.

before
You must be registered for see images attach

after

i think they look great and blend in good. i have another set of windshield trim that will be painted black also.

i almost thought they wouldn't be very bright.

gauges look good and match.

so next i hope to be painting some front end parts and getting some headway on the trans.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would you be so kind as to link to the cab lights you bought? There's quite a few different brands on Amazon and yours look pretty decent. I have been strongly considering these myself. I'd prefer a more grey but the black would be fine with me.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I was hoping they were bolt on. I can do the electrical but why can't they make it easy lol!

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they fit pretty well. but yeah i wasn't real happy about having to change the connector. to be honest though the plug the lights come with i think are a little better. they are made of soft rubber instead of the hard plastic that can break over time.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i haven't gotten much done on the truck. i bought two front fenders, they look good. just need some sanding, primer and paint. i really want to get working on this but the money jobs pretty much take up my entire day from 7:00 am to 9:00 pm so im not really left with much.

anyway, i hauled a load of scrap metal to the yard with my truck and trailer. i did a little stretch on the highway to get there.

i kept a steady 70 mph at a gross weight of 15,860 lbs almost no problem with the rolling hills we have here. i was at 2,300 rpm with 13 lbs of boost 900* on the pyro and 195* water temp and it wasn't very hot out.

on the way back i had a gross weight of 12,260 just truck and trailer. drove the same way back and i had one section i could hammer down. i got to 2,500 ish rpm at 80 mph 15 lbs of boost 950* on the pyro and water temp just crept to 210*

just some info for yall... enjoy the few pictures.