Project Big Red

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How is McMaster on shipping rates? I've considered ordering from them before bit they don't tell you shipping cost up front, at least that I could see.

I was wondering about the braided hose, with the vibration of our engines, would abraision be a big issue? I'd hate the fix to cause more problems.

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You probably mentioned it somewhere in the 2800 or so posts of this thread, but my search did not yield the results I was looking for, so I'll ask,. Where did you get that nifty overhead gauge cluster/switchpod @laserjock? Google didn't even help me on this one

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How is McMaster on shipping rates? I've considered ordering from them before bit they don't tell you shipping cost up front, at least that I could see.

I was wondering about the braided hose, with the vibration of our engines, would abraision be a big issue? I'd hate the fix to cause more problems.
Shipping on small stuff is not terrible. That box of stuff was like $6.75. I’ve had “small” boxes filled with several pounds of bolts ship for 7-8$. And ground shipping gets to me next day when I order by 5 ish. The sucky thing with them is they don’t show you the shipping up front so you have to be careful or you can get surprised. I ordered a wall mount for a tube tv a few years back and got a shock on the shipping. Metal can get you too. It scales more with size than weight for them it seems.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The overhead is a direct order from ford. I can’t claim credit for that. I stole it from here.

https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/94-98-7-3l-interior-discussion/533777-f-650-overhead-mod.html

I think the PN is in there. I think I bought it from Tasca or sunrise ford online. One of those. They had the best price. Sometimes you can find them used.

You must be registered for see images attach

$75
https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-console-asy-overhead-bc4z70519a70b

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Make sure to put something on all that braided stainless. Like some split loom, clear heat shrink, something. Anything to protect it from abrasion.
Because I'll tell you, doesn't take much to get a hole in that crap. I hate it, won't ever use it for anything without some type of covering.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if that's true as far as market affect. Total number of individual sales on such a specific part vs total number of sales to OB members is probably a surprisingly slim difference hahah. Many thanks for the links and answers guys!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I’m cautiously optimistic. I changed the auto meter sender out and now I have a lot more range of gauge movement. It behaves like it use to. I drove it a bit today and she seems to run okay. Once it’s warm, I’ve got 50 psi running down the road. Just a touch under 25 at warm idle. Engine sounds okay. I don’t know if I’m paranoid and it’s fine or if I’m hearing a little extra something but for now, I’ll probably run it a little more and change the oil. Maybe degrease the engine bay a little before the oil change.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I guess I should update here. Since the redneck oil change, I haven’t driven the truck much. Changed jobs and the new commute is not real truck friendly. And the weather sucked. I’ve had a couple nagging issues. First is a cab leak. I’m almost positive it’s the windshield but it could be the cab lights. I just haven’t had time to fully diagnose it. I just try to keep her dry until I can get to it.

The more pressing (concerning) issue has been a water leak. If it sets long enough after it’s been run, I eventually get a puddle on the floor. I’ve looked for it before but it was hard to trace. Seemed like it is running down the passenger exhaust manifold (outside). So the other day I picked up some dye and a light. Changed the coolant filter and filled the new filter with the dye.

Here are the empty bottles.

After running it, I couldn’t find anything immediately. After it sat for about a week...

Okay. Let’s find it.

It’s hard to see in the pictures but it sticks out like a sore thumb. That is the hose to thermostat housing connection. I’ve tightened that before but I guess not enough. I may need a better clamp. I’m really relieved that it’s a hose. Honestly I’ve been scared it was a head gasket or something.

In other news, I’ve been consulting a few folks and I’ve come to the conclusion my motorcraft fan clutch is a dud. So I ordered a Hayden for better or worse to try. I’ve got a couple other little things cooking too so stay tuned. Should have a couple more interesting mods if I can get some momentum up through the winter.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
Mike, I'm going to have to steal your console idea that you stole for someone else HAHAHA

I've been looking at my truck and thinking about building a wooden console like the centurions but i like this a little better. between this and a roof mounted DVD player for the kid i think it will look cleaner and less dated. will give me a nice spot for switches for lights and what not for my flatbed.