Project Big Red

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going a different direction. I vote you make it a disco button. Pimp out the interior a little, push the button and lights start flashing, earth wind and fire plays on the stereo, smoke comes out the dash vents.
Plus who else has a button in their vehicle that says "Disco" on it?
No one, that's who.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, rally trip report time. We got there just fine.

You must be registered for see images attach

First issue came that evening on the way for some dinner. Apparently the fuel gauge is off more than I thought on the rear tank. After some tense moments and buying a 6” crescent wrench and cracking a couple lines I got her up and running again. I know the tank wasn’t empty but too much sitting down hill and the pickup pointing to the back of the rear tank let her suck air.

Made it through the show and shine.

Next problem came Wednesday. Sitting in the parking lot with the AC on, I start smelling electrical something burning.

Fuse burnt as a result of a bad contact in the Aux fuse panel under the hood. I didn’t find the full problem until the next morning when I did a bit of a quick roadside repair. Pulled the wires out of the block and crimped on a new terminal (luckily I had my kit) taped it up and made a makeshift fuse holder and we made it to the distillery tour only a couple minutes late.

Made it home.

Still have a water temp issue. Got to do something about the screeching v belts. I suspect the fixes for these will end up being linked. Stay tuned!

Last edited:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am happy to report that I have mostly solved my squeaky Alternator belt issue that all rally goers were starting to think was my trucks signature. Swapped the pulley for the one on my 1g alt with an extra washer to take up the space from the external fan on the 1g. Even with questionable tension she’s so much quieter. Now I’ve got to sort the damn AC belt and I’ll be set.

I also put in a more permanent temporary fix for the main power fuse that melted above. It’s got a standard fuse holder in line now. Of course I took zero pictures. LOL

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drove the truck to work today. This is not what you want to see when you start it up at lunch.

Well, I think my sending unit is going out.

So it turns out it’s totally RPM dependent and that would make sense as the pressure should be rpm dependent.

I have a video of it I’ll upload. Guess I need to relocate the sender off the turbo. Probably too much vibration.

Last edited:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Given how it snaps up and down I think it has to be. I was playing with it on the way home and I could get it to flutter slightly if I held it just right. I’m guessing it shook the sender apart. That was a concern I had putting the sender right on the turbo. I think it might even be touching the hood when the engine rocks up. There’s a mark.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, there could be another explanation.

No oil on the dipstick. It was ticking when I backed into the driveway. Backtracking I found an oil trail 8-10 miles. The last 4-5 I turned the radio down because it sounded different. Not horrible but different. Going to drain it to see how much is left. Toss some oil in it. Connect the oil feed directly and see how bad it is.

Wish me luck.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Doh! Oh well, at least there was an oil trail. :p

If you were taking it easy, it might be ok. You'll see after get oil in it and start it. These engines are pretty tough.

Best of luck to you.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well...

It’s got oil in it. Bled everything. Connected the feed line and...

Edit. Wrong video.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This is the ******* that caused all the problem. I sure hope I didn’t loose a motor and turbo over a 5$ fitting. I will be pissed.

I don’t hear anything offensive. It sounds a little different to me but I guess that could be paranoia.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if you could get a section of hydraulic hose that would tolerate the heat in that area and mount the sender on something more solid using the hydraulic hose as a feed to it? Maybe some stainless braided hose? I think I remember seeing this same problem somewhere else, that's a decent amount of weight hanging off a tiny little pipe fitting.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if you could get a section of hydraulic hose that would tolerate the heat in that area and mount the sender on something more solid using the hydraulic hose as a feed to it? Maybe some stainless braided hose? I think I remember seeing this same problem somewhere else, that's a decent amount of weight hanging off a tiny little pipe fitting.

That is exactly the plan. Oil feed hose to relocate pressure sender. I’m pretty sure I saw @typ4 do this mod as well. I’m thinking hard about trying to plumb the dash sender in somewhere else. Just not sure where this second. I have a feeling what’s happened is that the engine rocking was shoving the sender into the hood and it fatigued.

Anyway, she’s going to set until I can get a pressure gauge on it and see how the oil pressure is. Hopefully it didn’t wipe the mains. I don’t hear anything particularly ugly from the top end. Once I confirm oil pressure is good, I’ll probably degrease the thing, change the oil again and run it to see if any problems pop up.

Freshening a motor was not in my winter plans.

[emoji21]