Project Big Red

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, the brick dash is "tops" in my book (to each his own I guess). It's one of the few Ford dashes that rarely crack. Also used OBS doors & door panels, again I like the OBS door panels for the location of power window switch.
You must be registered for see images attach

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah! I forgot. Yours is grey. I love the brick dash too. Mine is pretty cracked up in the radio area but everything else is decent. Top is fine for sure.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this the truck you'll have at the rally this year? I'd love to see first hand how the obs doors line up against the brick dash. I'm strongly considering a set so I don't keep locking the doors every time I move my left leg....

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i would also like to use the obs door panels. i just want to find a set for all power windows.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this the truck you'll have at the rally this year? I'd love to see first hand how the obs doors line up against the brick dash. I'm strongly considering a set so I don't keep locking the doors every time I move my left leg....
That’s catbirds’s truck. Mine has brick door panels. I don’t think I’ve seen him show interest in the rally. He’s not too far away though.

Nudge.....nudge..... @catbird7

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s catbirds’s truck. Mine has brick door panels. I don’t think I’ve seen him show interest in the rally. He’s not too far away though.

You know, it REALLY would help if I'd pay more attention LOL

I drive through PA on the way to the rally. What's his excuse? Lol! :p

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know, I know........... Should've went to the one in PA, was it last year or the year before it was in Bedford PA. (I think). Noticed this year is also in somewhat familiar territory, I've hunted deer just a little north of this year's location.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two years ago it was around Bedford.

So finally the project that wouldn’t end.

And of course the Maroon belts shipped today.

I think we will be picking up a different booster. There is just not much leg room with this seat. If anyone has suggestions on that let me know.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Two years ago it was around Bedford.

So finally the project that wouldn’t end.

And of course the Maroon belts shipped today.

I think we will be picking up a different booster. There is just not much leg room with this seat. If anyone has suggestions on that let me know.

Those all in one style seats take up more room.
If big enough, get a normal booster.
Something similar to this. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Graco-Wayz-3-in-1-Harness-Booster-Car-Seat-Gordon/50901250

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I don’t see what the big deal is.... there’s plenty of room in the bed for the kids....... that’s where we all rode as kids...... lol

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those all in one style seats take up more room.
If big enough, get a normal booster.
Something similar to this. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Graco-Wayz-3-in-1-Harness-Booster-Car-Seat-Gordon/50901250

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

That’s what we ended up doing. It was a fun little road trip yesterday. What should have taken 4 hours or so ended up taking the better part of 12. First false start was the seat. First turn out on the street kid and seat fall over. He’s “big” enough for a booster but that one weighs almost as much as he does. Turn around. Grab other car. Go to Walmart buy booster. Assemble booster. Ready to go again. That was about an hour and a half. Of course now I had to feed them. There’s an extra hour. Stopped to pick up Father’s Day presents and the store I stopped at didn’t have it in stock. Next closest store with stock was in Washington Pa so we took the scenic tour of south central PA. At one point in Washington I swear the gps took us through a parking lot. I think my son know knows the phrase, “go home Siri, you’re drunk. “

Get there. Procure gifts. Spend another hour repacking the truck because the boxes were bigger than anticipating. Feed them again. By the time we stopped for fuel and got to our destination, it was pushing 9 pm.

The good news is the mileage is coming up on the truck. It did 15.8 which was very mixed driving. Everything from 2 lane to flogging it down the interstate and stop and go traffic. Good bit of idle time. 28 gal. 444 miles. So I think there’s an honest 500 mile range in there.

Truck ran great. Everything else, not as smooth.

LOL

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We made it home last night. No big issues to report. Truck ran great. Need to check my AC pressures. It’s good and cold at speed but it’s noticeably warmer at idle. I haven’t checked it at all since I filled it so I guess it could be a tad low.

I spent some time studying my water temp gauge. It turns out that I was wrong. It is not sitting right on 195. It’s actually sitting just above 180. Parallax is a *****. I have not externally verified but if I believe my motor craft thermostat is running at 195, then my water temp problems may be worse than I thought. The overtemp light has never come on though. I guess I’m going to have to bite the bullet and swap gauges. Volt gauge reads high (I’ve checked it). Water temp reads low. Something is goofy.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We made it home last night. No big issues to report. Truck ran great. Need to check my AC pressures. It’s good and cold at speed but it’s noticeably warmer at idle. I haven’t checked it at all since I filled it so I guess it could be a tad low.

I spent some time studying my water temp gauge. It turns out that I was wrong. It is not sitting right on 195. It’s actually sitting just above 180. Parallax is a *****. I have not externally verified but if I believe my motor craft thermostat is running at 195, then my water temp problems may be worse than I thought. The overtemp light has never come on though. I guess I’m going to have to bite the bullet and swap gauges. Volt gauge reads high (I’ve checked it). Water temp reads low. Something is goofy.

You may have covered this elsewhere but do you have your gauges lighting tied into the dimmer from the dash lights?
If so are you using the same ground for both lighting and gauge power?
I accidentally did that and my EGT (the only gauge wired that way) was all kind of random at times. Isolated the grounds and problem solved.

Probably not your issue but thought I'd share my experience just in case.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You may have covered this elsewhere but do you have your gauges lighting tied into the dimmer from the dash lights?
If so are you using the same ground for both lighting and gauge power?
I accidentally did that and my EGT (the only gauge wired that way) was all kind of random at times. Isolated the grounds and problem solved.

Probably not your issue but thought I'd share my experience just in case.
Why yes. Yes it is wired exactly that way. I could see it maybe doing funny things when the lights were on but with the lights off too?